polar heart rate monitor h9 vs h10

The side that touches your skin has a flat panel of sensors that feels like nothing more than a strip of soft plastic. The Polar Pro strap ensures a secure fit and as little interference as possible. ***Daniel \"Ultra Dad\" AllnuttPO Box 74Middletown, Ohio 45042--------------Come hang out with me!Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/10851106Twitter: https://twitter.com/UltraDaddioInstagram: https://www.instagram.com/ultradad_dan/ Using the H10 you can broadcast your heartrate to two different bluetooth receivers. Evolved from the Polar OH1, Polar Verity Sense belongs to our new generation of optical heart rate sensors designed for better usability with updated software and improved battery life, it equips you with a wider bluetooth range and bigger memory. For example, I would have to increase the frequency of my workouts and vary the intensity. For me to say if the H9 is more or less accurate than the old H7 or H10, would need research to a scientific degree of accuracy. Ha, Thanks. Originally published June 1, 2021 12:00 pm, updated October 8, 2021. I suspect that the H9 will NOT receive new features going forward. The much older Polar H7 was superseded in 2017 by the Polar H10 model which was a newer and better chest-strap heart rate monitor (HRM).

Compatibility is good for Polar devices and will go back as far as the RCX5. FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission, This Polar H9 Review looks in detail at Polars new best value chest strap. Whats quite noticeable is that the sensor area on the H10s PRO strap is much larger than what comes with the soft strap on the H9. I do a have a line of defence differentiating between bluetooth smart and bluetooth. You do five minutes of cool down at the end too, when the app gets you to maintain a lower heart rate. May I please have your full address if you wish to order one? The entry-level Polar H9 is the best heart rate monitor for anyone with basic needs, with a wide range of compatibility and an excellent companion app. When we launched Polar Grit X Pro, we promised that the Grit X would not be left behind so here we are, keeping up our end of the deal with a major software update. IE we would normally assume that Polar have simply turned off caching and 2xBLE support, however, the significantly different firmware version numbers on the H9 and H10 imply, to me, that there could be more material differences under the cover. Once I start lake swimming then I will probably err towards the HRM-TRI for that and, as Polar should realise, once you start to use a device you want to keep using it rather than switching between multiple sensors that all do the same, simple thing. this extra bit comprises what looks to be an element of structural rubber than another 25mm sensor on each side, ie the sensor is not longerthere are 2 more, separate sensors which increase the overall sensor area PCMag Digital Group. Yup its a bit annoying Ive sent an email to the Irish branch of the European Consumer Centre to see if they want to use it as a stick to beat Polar with but Im not hopeful tbh. The Polar H7 of old was historically used by Sports Labs as an HRM-of-choice due to its accuracy. If you click an affiliate link and buy a product or service, we may be paid a fee by that merchant. Sign up for Lab Report to get the latest reviews and top product advice delivered right to your inbox. I do look for the lowest price I can find at the time of writing in a handful of stores, but by using the links I earn from qualifying purchases made through these links. If you find wearing a chest strap cumbersome and you dont want anything getting in the way of your training session, choose Polar Verity Sense. The app also tells you how you can improve your fitness score. Because it uses ANT+, Bluetooth, and 5kHz (Gymlink), you can connect it to fitness trackers, running watches, phones, bicycle computers, gym equipment, and more. When I'm not testing devices, I'll look at my heart rate from time to time during a workout to see where it is. These are my own thoughts and opinions, and no one elses! But the H9 will only work underwater with older Polar watches. However, in the short to medium term VERY MANY people, like me, use ANT+ devices. The first image is for the H10 and it shows how and where you are prompted for a firmware update. Both heart rate monitors support ANT+ connections too, which are basically unlimited. Both support ANT+ and BLE. Just a note about the links to buy in this article, as they are sponsored. When connected as an ANT+ HRM to some devices, the H9 seems to INcorrectly report a low battery (at the same time via BLE in Beat a full battery is shown (22/Feb/2022). When one of them climbed or fell, the other was right on its heels. FTC: Affiliate Disclosure: All links pay commission. At most, when I'm treadmill jogging, I'll increase my speed if I realize my heart rate is low and I'm not working out hard enough. You may unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time. I asked Polar if we can expect a successor to the H10 but I didnt really get a response. Im not 100% sure that VISIBILITY will stop this, but Ill give it a go. For most people, it will give the accurate results you want. Its also ANT & Bluetooth now so will cover my needs. You can then set out on a fitness journey and refer back to that score as your starting point. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. I've used this app before, and several of the features and options appeal to me as someone who knows a little about heart rate training but isn't highly experienced doing it. When you want to have one heart rate tracker that you can connect to your phone, but also to just about any Bluetooth and ANT+ devices, Polar H9 is for you. Polar did send me these products for the purpose of my review, but they aren't paying me to make the review, and had no input or early access to my review before I published it on YouTube. They use the same coin cell battery (CR2025). The straps are interchangeable. Here is the manual, thats always interesting: Polar H9, H10 or H7 are required for Polars Orthostatic tests on the Vantage and V800 watches. The H9 doesn't have any onboard memory, whereas the H10 can store data from your previous training session, so you can use it without a connected device and simply upload your workout data later (in other words, you can go for a run without your phone). Again, the readings were very close to one another. The strap is different too but thats because the H9 has the older SOFT STRAP that previously came with the H7 chest strap. Just like the H10, the H9 will work with pretty much anything. For people who are at the entry level of fitness, these are wonderful programs that give you exactly the feedback you need to work out effectively. These will, I suspect, be confined to the H10 to justify its higher price. This Polar H9 Review concludes by noting that the H9 is Polars best value chest strap to date. the Polar PRO strap is actually identical to the SOFTEXCEPT there is an extra bit on the end of each side of the strip. Going from their FCC filings and general development lately, I think the H10 is good for another year before we see an H11 for example. Just like the H10, the H9 has a nifty cover that can be opened fairly easily to change the battery. With the H9s black on black, I just missed it completely. Typically, however, I don't manage my heart rate throughout a workout in a planned waybut that's exactly what you do when heart rate training. Having said that, you dont need to be a pro to want to enjoy pro-level heart rate tracking: the price range were talking about here doesnt require breaking the bank. Im a skinny runner so the pros extended sensor area would wrap well around my chest which puts a lot of stress on a material thats not meant to bend that much. After your workout you can retrieve your HR data using the Polar Beats app. https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/polar-h9-heart-rate-sensor, Supports ANT+, Bluetooth, and 5 kHz transmission (Gymlink), Lacks some features you get with pricier monitors, Read Great Stories Offline on Your Favorite, PC Magazine Digital Edition (Opens in a new window), How to Free Up Space on Your iPhone or iPad, How to Save Money on Your Cell Phone Bill, How to Convert YouTube Videos to MP3 Files, How to Record the Screen on Your Windows PC or Mac, Read Our Wahoo Tickr X Heart Rate Monitor Review, Read Our Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor Review, Fitbit Charge 5 Adds 'Find Phone' Feature. The Polar H9 performs very well on the core features that we need from a heart rate monitor: (accuracy); battery life; compatibility; and price. I've also worked at the Association for Computing Machinery, The Examiner newspaper in San Francisco, and several other publications. All of Polars current heart rate monitors are accurate, namely the H10, OH1+ and the H9 we review here. My latest book is The Everything Guide to Remote Work, which goes into great detail about a subject that I've been covering as a writer and participating in personally since well before the COVID-19 pandemic. couple with the nobbly bits that means there is more chance of it staying put and picking up a signal. At $59.95, it costs less than other heart rate monitors(HRMs) that pack in extra features, but it still covers all the bases. While I only dabble in technology for health and fitness these days, I had the pleasure of writing a review of the original Fitbit Ultra and similar products that came after it. Polar Verity Sense gives you up to 30 hours of training with incredible accuracy so you can measure every move. Its not needed for accuracy while reducing accuracy of fit. If you end up regretting not getting the pro-strap, you can buy it separately for about $35 or 35. mine is specifically folded on the sensor piece by 90 degreesmore than the bend required to fit your chest I would guessstill, im sure ongoing usage then introduces new rigours, Regarding the sensor straps, as someone who is not thin (62, 210-215# depending on dinner the night before, LOL), the Pro strap is a must for SOME workouts. personally i think they should replace it FOC. Mine is 40, which is "good," and one digit away from being "very good." I also mentioned on DCR a use-case that I have for H10 v H7/9. Chest is the best place for tracking heart rate because chest strap gets the sensor as close to your heart as possible. i guess they might argue its the strap, therefore not electronics. Looking at both pods the only noticeable difference is the colour. I know that while resting, my heart rate should be in the 50 or 60bpm range. In this article Ill explain the difference between the Polar H9 and H10 heart rate monitors and what those differences mean. The H9 and H10 are about $30 from each other in price, with the MRSP of the H9 being $59,95 and the H10 $89,95. I mentioned that the Polar H9 runs on a coin cell battery. If you are an existing H10 user and your pod has broken. The H9 is likely to be identical if/when new firmware is released. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks! The H9 has the older Polar SOFT Strap and the H10 has the newish PRO strap both will NORMALLY give exactly the same results, The H9s SOFT STRAP has a slightly easier-to-use clip mechanism, The H9 will work LIVE underwater with older Polar sports watches most likely for you, this will ONLY be with the, The H9/H10 wont work UNDERWATER on The Vantage series neither for caching nor over 5KHz.

I repeated this same test using the Wahoo Tickr FIT, an optical HRM. Complete with the Polar Pro strap and its extra interference-preventing electrodes and slip-preventing silicone dots, Polar H10 gets you maximum precision for heart rate readings, capturing all the peaks and lows your sessions entail. With unrivaled accuracy and extreme reliability in optical heart rate measurement, Polar Verity Sense is the natural choice for anyone, any sport, any time. FWIW Ive mostly given up on getting accurate HR for the pool and have resigned myself to wrist-based oHR. It supports all the options I normally need. To extend the battery life I suggest disconnecting the pod after usage, just one of the pins should be enough. Having said that, if Polar ever introduces running dynamics then the H9 might get that through new firmware. In the older strap, Id have quite a few (5-10 at least spikes/dropouts caused by the losses of contact, in a 20-40 minute workout cycle. Polar has kept the price lower than some of its more premium HRMs while still producing a device that's accurate, comfortable, and easy to use. Polar's companion apps come with heart rate training options, as well as a simple VO2max test so you can track your fitness progress over time. I specialize in apps for productivity and collaboration, including project management software. Some of the training programs in the Polar Beat app are great for beginners, while more advanced fitness enthusiasts might still find the H9 does everything they need, too. You will find it cheaper than RRP on Amazon and through retailer loyalty schemes (offers linked to below). The H9 has a list price of $59.95 compared with the $89.95 H10 (though the H10 is a few years old now, so you may be able to find it for less). If you just want a chest strap that will work with any sports watch or sports app, then the Polar H9 is the one to go for. Polar has its own apps that work with its line of heart rate monitors, namely Polar Flow and Polar Beat, and you can use third-party apps, too, including Nike Run Club, Runkeeper, Zwift, TrainerRoad, The Sufferfest, MapMyFitness, and other apps in the "MapMy" family. The Polar H9 is versatile. Or give it a thumbs up!

Best Regards, yes i mentioend the disconnect thing because dcr and others sometimes say it isnt needed (which IIRC is true of older garmin hrms)

I suspect that whatever comes after the Polar Vantages firmware v5 will FINALLY support ANT+ as well as BLE sensors. My 2 cents , yes The H9 supports one Bluetooth Low Energy v4.2 (SMART) connection and multiple, simultaneous ANT+ connections AND GymLink. If you want to track your heart rate, train using heart rate, or watch your fitness level change over time with a VO2max score, you'll get everything you need from the H9. But how do you know which heart rate sensor is right for you? But obviously prices may vary over the year with offers and Black Friday and such. Another practical thing is that the electrodes on the chest strap need moisture to work, meaning that you must have some water handy to get the chest strap sensor to function. I also test and analyze online learning services, particularly for learning languages. Some non-branded ones break VERY quickly in my experience. the h10 strap also has a larger sensor area. My favorite one has you warm up for five minutes, then get your heart rate into a specific range and keep it there for the number of minutes you set, with a minimum of 30. I paired the Garmin HRM to a Garmin watch while simultaneously looking at data from the Polar H9 on my phone. Thank you!

It only becomes a talking point when an HRM is particularly bad in some respect. Soft strap is supposedly not as accurate as the PRO strap in niche use-cases, Clasp on soft strap can twist when strap is tight, The Polar H9 only supports one simultaneous Bluetooth smart connection (the H10 supports 2), At an RRP of Eu59.90, the H9 is cheaper than the H10 (Eu89.90), The H9 cannot cache workouts at all (H10 can cache one workout via the Polar Beat app), The strap is different between the H10 and H9 and, remember, its the strap that picks up the heart rate signal and so THE STRAP is the most important for those of you seeking maximum accuracy. It clips into place with two snaps, as is the case with most chest strap HRMs. From the launch of the Polar H9 (Feb 2020) until the lakes open in April I will almost certainly be using the Polar H9 as my main source of running and cycling HR data. the reason I did this is that Polar watches have an annoying habit of auto-pairing to HRMs. I tested the accuracy of the Polar H9 in two ways. Polar H10 is the most accurate heart rate sensor in Polars history and the choice of many pro athletes. With the extra width of coverage in the Pro (H10, been using it since shortly after its release) that number has dropped to between 0-2 per workout (and likely overall some of the readings were glitchier before than now, without being totally obvious spikes/drops that are double/zero readings). Polar said to me that the H10 has additional electrodes to reduce interference and silicon friction dots to keep the sensor in place, so in fact it is the STRAP that increses accuracy rather than the POD itself. The optical heart rate sensor measures changes in the size of blood vessels with the help of LED lights and a light detector ultimately providing incredibly accurate heart rate readings effectively. electronics are 2 years in the eu (youre ireland right?) All three use Bluetooth and ANT+ to connect to a great variety of training devices, apps, and Polar sports watches. If you liked this post, dont forget to share so that others can find it, too. 1996-2022 Ziff Davis. when the Pro strap comes NEW it is wrapped and folded. This content is not sponsored. The Polar H9 is as comfortable as any other strap and will, almost certainly, RELIABLY link to most peoples app or sports watch of choice. Slip it on.

First, I wore the device while sitting still, walking, jogging, and running to make sure the readings were in the range of where they should be.

so are you saying the bit of rubber broke or the extra sensor area broke? Your email address will not be published. If you don't have any complex or special needs in your HRM, the Polar H9 will leave you satisfied without asking you to spend too much, earning our Editors' Choice. You can see Ive turned off the visibility of the H9 in the app. Changing the battery is straightforward if you have a large coin to help you open the cover. (you are preempting someone saying the solution is HIIT then gps runn then HIIT ??) Im going to assume, as I would do with a Garmin or Suunto chest strap HRM, that its accurate. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Subscribe to my newsletter to get all the latest info. Then you pop it out, drop in a new one, and close it back up. The optical heart rate sensor doesnt need any moistening so you can start training quicker and easier. Thank you. Some of Polars marketing literature states that the H10 has increased accuracy over the H9, however that is simply the different strap, not the pod. I would keep your PRO strap and use it with the cheaper H9. I've been contributing to PCMag since 2011, at times as an analyst and columnist, and currently as deputy managing editor for the software team. At one end of the strap is a coated stainless steel hook that you slip into a loop on the other end. Under a wetsuit, Suunto, Garmin and Polar (H10, caching) chest traps are all going to be fine. The sensor is small, measuring 1.33 by 2.56 by 0.39 inches (HWD). These products are quite different, notably in the technology used and the body position in which they are intended to be worn. This really is reader-powered content. I think Ill pick up the basic Garmin HRM as I got a 10% discount with my shiny new 945 so not much difference price wise. Assuming you want an alternative, Bluetooth-compatible chest strap, then you could also consider Suuntos Smart Belt, Garmin HRM-Dual or Wahoos TICKR-X (Wahoo TICKR-X Review). We are happy to offer a replacement Pro Strap for the cost of 34,90 or 19,90 for a Soft strap plus 9 for postage. I did that after I paired it to ALL the devices it needs to be paired to as my main HRM. Copyright 2022 OneManEngine | Theme Based on MH Themes. BLE actually. There you have it the basic differences between Polar Verity Sense vs Polar H10 and Polar H9 heart rate sensors. polar SOFT, suunto smartbelt and garmin hrm-tri straps all have seemingly very similar rubber sections to the strap. Use it with Polar Flow or any other of your favorite fitness apps. I would say there is very little to choose between the H10 and H9 in normal training usage both are comfy and seemingly highly accurate. So why isnt the H9 as accurate as the H10? They're both waterproof and safe for swimming. We will probably see a new strap from both Wahoo, and Garmin in 2020, so you could wait for those.

This Q&A piece lays out the main differences between Polar Vantage V2 and Polar Grit X and helps you find the right training partner. You should NOT have to do this but it did help with the previous H10 model. Ive used polars previous (H7 gen) straps for years fine with biking and running, where it fails is CrossFit style workouts. Slip it on. Cold morning jog? The app has workouts targeted at more experienced runners and exercise buffs, too, whether you're training for a race, looking to get faster, or trying to improve your VO2max through other activities. IE non-Polar, HRV-capable, BLE chest straps will NOT work. It's comfortable, waterproof, and washable, and you can pair it with a phone, a running watch, or any other fitness equipment thanks to support for ANT+, Bluetooth, and 5kHz transmission. Ive since found the H10 when I was writing this review, so that gives me an option too but it doesnt offer me anything extra I NEED over and above the H9. The HRM and app calculate your VO2max; it's OK if you don't know what that means because the app puts it in context with a chart, number, and descriptor. Perhaps I would have a very slight preference for the PRO STRAP in swimming but other than thatmeh. It may sound boring, but if you want all the information quickly in one glance, check out the feature comparison table. Makes heart rate monitoring for fitness affordable, easy, and accurate. If you have problems with your current chest strap or optical HRM, try these suggestions, Fix *optical* HR and chest strap HR issues Troubleshooting Garmin, Polar, TomTom, Suunto, Here are some interesting and unusual points which might answer uncommon questions, OH1, OH1+, H10, H9, H7Im just showing off my collection. That doesnt make it more accurate per se though. Aesthetically the H10 and H9 pods look identical, apart from the colour. Second, I put on the Polar H9 and simultaneously wore other heart rate monitors to compare their readings. Its mostly me behind the labour of love which is this site and I appreciate everyone who follows, subscribes or Buys Me A Coffee Alternatively please buy the reviewed product from my partners at their regular price. Follow me on Twitter @jilleduffy or get in touch via my contact page. It does take some trial and error to figure out how tight to make the strap to keep it secure, but also comfortable when you breathe deeply. In the USA, the H9 is available to buy with a 10% discount from PowerMeterCity (checkout code: the5krunner10) and you help this blog and this Polar H9 Review in a small way by purchasing from there. Even though the H9 only supports one active connection using Bluetooth SMART (v4.2), it CAN be paired with several Bluetooth devices. Polar said to me that the H10 , 5k Training Plan Running | Sub 19, 21, 23, 25 | minute 5k, 10k Training Plan | Sub 40, Sub 45, Sub 50 | Running PB PR, Straightforward Sub 20 19 5k Training Plan, Best Couch to 5k Training Plan For Running, Polar H9 Specifications & Comparison to H10, OH1, Detailed Differences of the Polar H9 Compared to the Polar H10, Detailed Differences of the Polar H9 compared to the Polar OH1+ (Verity Sense), GymLink through Polar BEAT (ON by default check compatibility), firmware updatable (see these instructions), buy the reviewed product from my partners, Garmin Advanced Swim Features | new to 945 & Fenix 6 Series, Garmin 945 FW Now Live (Forerunner 245 too), https://the5krunner.com/2019/11/14/polar-running-form-analysis-via-racefox/, BLE and ANT+ Compatability, 5KHz GymLink too, The soft strap has a good clipping mechanism. The app goes one step further to offer you workouts that do exactly the kind of training you need. Lets assume you can do it. For example, Suuntos caching strap will only cache data for Suunto watches. The Polar H9 is very similar to the Polar H10except for a few key points. Polar H9 Verdict: A high quality 'pro' heart rate strap for a decent price. you could probably get creattive with recording the HR part of the session on BEAT. hmmm. Im thinking more along the lines of enhancements to caching. part of the rubber section is the sensor Polar Verity Sense Review | the other opinion, in detail. When I first heard about the H10/H9 I assumed it had a notably lower profile than the older H7, below. might help in swimming as you say BUT also it might improve HRV accuracy. If chest straps dont work for you then an upper arm based strap might. You should remove the sensor to wash the strap, although it's waterproof enough to handle swimming. This really comes in to play when swimming, you still want to stay away from doing powerful flip turns, but in open water, the pro strap should stay on better. It gives advice on how to manage all the devices, apps, digital photos, social networks, email, and other technology that can make you feel like you're going to have a panic attack. ANT+ can be disabled to extend battery life. Im sorry to let you know that the warranty does not extend to the chest strap at this point in time as its over a year old. My first job in publishing was copy editing peer-reviewed papers on chemical physics. So why isnt the H9 as accurate as the H10? its ridiculous for a premium strap to last that long. Our expert industry analysis and practical solutions help you make better buying decisions and get more from technology. Posted on April 21, 2021 in Compared // 2 Comments. If you want to pay for advanced HR-related features using the H9/H10 then try. If you see a brand you trust selling an HRM for less than that, it's a steal. its a fitness for purpose argument. That makes it an Editors' Choice. Here are the detailed Polar H9 specifications as well as a comparison to Polars two other heart rate monitors. Another word on price: A reliable chest strap without many bells and whistles is going to cost somewhere in the range of $40 to $60. My brain was in Garmin-mode The whole time you're working out, an automated coach in the app tells you to either speed up, slow down, or keep this pace. The colour of the H9 pod is different from that of the H10. It's a stretchy black fabric made of four different materials (38 percent Polyamide, 29 percent polyurethane, 20 percent elastane, 13 percent polyester). So YMMV on the straps, the new one is def better for swimming purposes. The H9 is going to be my heart rate monitor of choice until the lakes open for open water swimming in the Spring hopefully, by then, my usage will confirm whether or not Polar have fixed the battery life issue of the H10 which required it to be disconnected when not in use. Straps usually need to be replaced every 12 to 10 months. Ready to track that grueling climb on your ride? And then, you will get a ANT+ only pod forever as you will never be able to re-enable BLE as you need BLE to do it.

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook