used book stores vancouver

It cost me just UNDER 60 dollars. Hopefully you find something special at one of these shops. Website: Lawrence Books on Yelp Im sorry but I cannot help you with your search for a copy of Place of Quiet Waters. If youre not familiar with that feeling, hundreds of other Vancouverites are; every day, a flock of book lovers storm the shelves of Vancouvers used book shops in search of that romance and appeal that can only be found in a second-hand book.

Unlike them, we never charge for shipping. "The woman who was working when I arrived was friendly and helpful,", "She spent about 20 minutes helping a woman choose an entire stack of new books to take home, and she clearly loved every minute of the quest.". Many frequently asked questions about us are answered below, but if you can't find an answer, please call us at 604.876.4311. said a customer who travels from the United States to shop here!

Pulp Fiction on Broadway and Main for sure. Lift this stack to see the one behind.

V5T 3J1. Sign up for our free Property Newsletter to receive updates about the Vancouver Real Estate Market and to be amongst the first to know about newly listed properties in Metro Vancouver!

I am Hon. It would be cool if these guys would merge and make a destination used books store that attracts tourists. Huge inventory.

Try eBay, too.

In Van, you pretty much have to hunt. Now well into our third decade as a knowledgeable & reliable dealer of vintage books, we carry rare, fine, out of print & antiquarian books, as well as general inventory. Lots of stuff, huge turnover so there's always new stuff. Pulp Fiction on Main just off Broadway is my favourite. Theyre a straight up, no-nonsense bookstore and claim to only stock the good stuff when it comes to used books. Again, lots of old and obscure stuff. Every day sees hundreds of new and out-of-print books added to the shelves. I am learning how to retell stories. Option: Enter a published year range to help narrow your results. History Canada British Columbia Anecdotal, History Canada British Columbia Commerce, History Canada British Columbia Fishing, History Canada British Columbia Gold Rush, History Canada British Columbia Logging, History Canada British Columbia Oil & Gas, History Canada British Columbia Vancouver.

Telephone: 604-662-3113. The term that comes to mind when thinking about Albion Books is "controlled chaos." We constantly enlarge and refresh our collection with quality books for every type of reader and work hard to provide a friendly, clean, and comfortable atmosphere where you can enjoy a relaxing browse. Queen Ruby who is pictured at the top of this page passed away in September at 18. Although she no longer will greet you at the door, she will continue to greet you from here. Tanglewood Books is a prime example of how used bookstores have begun to make a comeback. I don't think two hours of massage could generate as many ooohs out of me as one half-hour inside Lawrence Books could.". Its sheer vastness results in its biggest advantage, and that is variety. Good luck in your search! Open seven days a week, Tanglewood typically sells most of its books at 50% off the cover price, even books that are decades old (when cover prices were lower.) Find information about which items we accept here. Not to be confused with the small, independent press of the same name, Tanglewood Books is a store that specializes in used, out-of-print, rare, and publisher-remaindered books. Over half a million new and used books to choose from.

Are your bookshelves overflowing with books youve outgrown or only read once and will never read again?

It's on 636 Hornby, a block down from Burrard SkyTrain station. : When the original shop on Broadway was damaged by a fire, the business relocated to Cambie street at 16th.

If you suffer from claustrophobia, youd better stay outside and send a friend in! Peter Booker, Sole Perpetrator Go down to Seattle and Portland and other northwest towns (even little ones like Port Townsend in WA) - it's never difficult to find sprawling, amazing used bookstores in these places. 9 bucks for a tattered and torn old paperback? If youre not familiar with that feeling, hundreds of other Vancouverites are; every day, a flock of book lovers storm the shelves of Vancouvers used book shops in search of that romance and appeal that can only be found in a second-hand book. Poetry readings, literary talks and discussions, signings, book clubs and more all in downtown Vancouver, WA. They have a respectable collection of Vonnegut titles, if youre interested in his often hard-to-find works. Whether you believe that these books have more character than the new tomes found in chain bookstores, or you are simply looking to save money, we invite you to browse our selection of Vancouvers most cozy, fascinating, and inspiring used book shops. Vancouver, BC, Canada Institutional & Corporate Orders -- coming soon! The books are categorized by type/genre but beyond that it's largely a free-for-all as people move stuff around and nobody ever sorts it again.

"We handle almost anything to do with paper, as long as it is needed or wanted or importantIve sold books for $40,000, and I sell books for a dollar,". I blame exorbitant rent, there's few places that sprawling used book warehouses can both afford the space, and still be located conveniently enough to get enough business to stay open. comics pinoy movies tv neighborhood vancouver outlet another I don't have a car so downtown or close to skytrain is preferable. Macleods is pretty much heaven on earth. Construction of the Canada Line on the Cambie Street corridor in 2006 forced another move across the city to where Kestrel Books currently standsat 3642 West 4th Ave, happily nestled among the tree-lined streets of Kitsilano.

Two used book stores with a cafe in between (with direct internal access) could be a match made in heaven. []. Established in June 2000, we're one of Western Canada's largest and busiest bookstores, with more than 80,000 new and used titles in three neighborhood locations. If only we had something like Powell's city of books up here!

The store contains an excellent selection of art books, cookbooks, New Age and religious texts, fiction and non-fiction, mystery novels, and books for children of all ages. The double-stacking of paperbacks is crazy. Carson Books is a smaller store than many on this list, but still retains the comfortable atmosphere and quiet nature that any good bookstore should aspire to maintain.

: $500) lying around in the piles but that was absolutely out of my price range,", "I somewhat gave up, thinking Id figure out a plan B as a Christmas gift, but the staff member said hell keep looking for a more affordable one for me. Awesome. At first, one staff member could only recall a handwritten antique one (est. Tanglewood Books also accepts your used books for cash or trade-in value.

12 Responses to Best Used Book Stores in Vancouver. You can tell they really like bookstheyll happily talk about books and records with you, including what you're buying or what they're currently shelving.". Instead he went for a lot of the weird fantasy for teens stuff. I go there every couple of months and pick up a bunch of novels to work through, most recently the first four James Bond novels. If you're going to Pulp Fiction, you might as well check out First Used Books at 69 Kingsway, it's probably a 2 minute walk from Pulp. Booklovers in North Van at 3rd and St Georges (one block off of Lonsdale. I live in downtown Vancouver and am looking for some good used book stores. 45939 Wellington Ave., Chilliwack, BC V2P 2C6 604.792.4595 info@bookman.ca, #5-2630 Bourquin Crescent West, Abbotsford, BC V2S 5N7 604.853.READ (7323) info@bookman.ca. Theyre open everyday and encourage their customers to come in, hang out and flip through some pages. If we don't have what you want, we order new books at a discount of up to 40% off cover price. Telephone:604-261-3812.

Fill your house with stacks of books, in all the crannies and all the nooks. Whether you're seeking a recent Hilary Mantel, an out-of-print Clark Ashton Smith, or that little blue book about a pony you had when you were a kid, we'll either have it on our shelves, or can help you find it. He also sat on the floor in sweat pants and no shoes and spread the books out everywhere and we had to wait while he carefully studied each and assigned them to keep and send back piles. They even order titles from eBay that they believe are worth selling in their store. Website:www.pulpfictionbooksvancouver.com Additionally, Pulpfiction Books is a perfect place for you to sell your (good quality) used books. Carson will also buy your books outright, though he accepts donations from all genres. This store is not for casual readers; the focus of the content is on older and rarer publications, so you wont find this weeks bestsellers in the windows. They seem to have a dwindling supply of local customers as many people have transitioned away from physical books. For years he had been dutifully packing his tiny townhouse with stacks of books in preparation to open his own shop. Shipping costs are based on books weighing up to 2.2 LB, or 1 KG.

: Tim Carson, proprietor of Carson Books and Records, has had three bookstores in the Vancouver area.

It is easy to lose yourself on purpose browsing the shelves, but the stores owner knows his stuff, and will be happy to help you find a gift or something new for yourself. Whether you are interested in buying or selling a property in Vancouver, we are eager to assist you. Go to their $2 section.

Though I'm personally not a huge fan of the store, it's semi-famous (there's even a feature on them in the latest issue of Maclean's).

I stop there every time I can. Address: 455 Pender Street W Follow us on INSTAGRAM & FACEBOOK to get first glimpses of new & exceptional additions to our ever-growing library.. If you dont believe us, you can check out some photos of MacLeods. We want to hear from you! They will give you top dollar for your material, and point out any higher priced books among your collection. "We started up in about 1993 or 1994 with our first store on West Broadway and expanded to two stores in the late nineties. firstusedbooks@yahoo.ca. Hours: 9:30-5:30 & Stat Holidays 10:00-5:00.

Carson focuses on selling what he calls "quality literature" alongside a large amount of jazz and other vinyl. Kevin is currently working as a music teacher, music director for his church, and landscape photographer. Pulp Fiction has an awesome Science Fiction collection. I have a tendency to walk in, black out, and then leave the store 2 hours later with a stack of books in hand. Renaissance Books Store.

They even shout at you like they do at stores in Japan. Thanks for stopping by! I <3 used book stores. Irasshaimase! "I had a specific request as a Christmas gift for a friend: an Arabic Koran. Open 365 days a year. Finer literature including arts, drama, poetry, and nonfiction in all subjects. Our staff includes 19 unique and amazing individuals whose passion for books will amaze and delight you. Telephone: 604-876-4311.

Canterbury Tales on Commercial Drive has a small but good collection. Our regular customers say that our Main Street shop has more turnover than any bookstore they've ever been in. We also order graphic novels, but not single issue comic books, at discounts of up to 40% off Canadian cover price.

Lawrence is great because it's mostly a giant mess. While our corporate competitors "diversify" away from print into bath towels, bottled water, chocolates & electronics, we're sticking with what we do best: an unrivalled selection of new, used, & out-of-print books chosen by readers, not algorithms. It's worth checking out to see if that's your cup of tea.

MacLeod's I was never a big fan of - I actually like the massive book-pile disorganized mess that it is, but frankly I don't think the prices are very often reasonable. Something like Powells Books in Portland. Streetfront store for 28 years in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia. | Vancouver Homes. The stores shelves are clearly labeled and organized, and you dont need to bump elbows with your neighbour in order to read the titles on display. I went to Pulp Fiction today and walked out with 11 really good books. As he so eloquently put it, My wife was patient but I know that she wanted our kitchen table back; every time you turned around, books were everywhere piled to the ceiling.. Kestrel Books were proudly awarded the Silver Award for Best Used Bookstore in Vancouver in the 2010 Westender Newspapers Best of the City awards.

Whether you believe that these books have more character than the new tomes found in chain bookstores, or you are simply looking to save money, we invite you to browse our selection of Vancouvers most cozy, fascinating, and inspiring used book shops in our updated article! ", Address: 4340 Main Street Pulp Fiction kills. No regrets. Went into the Pulp Fiction location at Broadway and Balaclava for the first time the other day. Many of the subjects of his work are based locally in his hometown in Vancouver, B.C., where he first discovered his fascination with night photography. Still, I've gotten a couple old pulp sci-fi mags from First that I have trouble finding elsewhere. Visions at 700 Columbia Street, New Westminster. We recommend bringing in some books for trade; youll get twice as much in credit as you would in cash, and youll have an excuse to lose yourself amongst the stores selection of top-quality books. 30,000 books in stock, but only 3,300 listed online.

Didn't know they had another location. Easily walkable from the seabus. Unlike many of the other bookstores featured in this article, Pulpfiction Books has an open design with room to spare. : Did we miss your favourite used bookstore? I am looking for a copy of Place of Quiet Waters by Margaret McIntyre printed around 1965? The Book and Comic emporium, on Broadway just west of Granville, is very good for novels, particularly fantasy and sf. However, if youre not in a hurry, you might find yourself spending hours wandering around and finding the most fascinating titles for very reasonable prices. Kevin's passion for photography has encouraged others to see the splendor and beauty of nature right at their doorstep, as he captures the sights of the day, and colors and mystery of world while it sleeps. Most new books are sold at a discount to Canadian cover price.

Our special order service is faster and cheaper than ordering online from Indigo and Amazon.ca. Additionally, MacLeods staff will be of immense help if you are looking for a hard-to-find book.

Address: 3591 41st Avenue W At the time there were many bookstores around the city (far more than there are today) but reading and book collecting had always been a passion for Ron. : Volunteers have been running this non-profit as a collective for more than 40 years! : They will also get you new books at less than cover price. Their stock is more oriented towards non-fiction and reference books, in particular they had a great cookbook selection last time I was there. The place is easily floor to ceiling books, and the new(ish) owner is slowing organizing things so that you can actually find what you're looking for. They're my favorite book sellers in Vancouver because they actually have high quality stock, not just a million rehashed Stephen King/Dan Brown copies. Option: Enter a price range to help narrow your results. Bodies, blood, and turkeys: How a Vancouver woman uses TikTok to share the fantastic fakery of film props, Time was against us: 48 hours of chaotic fun making a short film, Celebrate the visual and performing arts in West Van this summer. I think it's a huge shame actually that vancouver doesn't have more used bookstores. I am looking for English books for high school students which include stories and answer questions. said Christopher, when we reached out to Pulpfiction books to learn more about the store's history. If your collection of childhood favorites is packed away in a hard-to-reach box stored somewhere in your parents house, just hit-up one of Vancouvers incredible used bookstores. : The staff will not only likely know of the book you are looking for, but they will also help you find it. Store Events About Contact us Search, We accept most donations of used books, with a few exceptions and special asks! You wont believe your ears when you ask staff about the location of some title and they know where to find it instantly.

", (We received a very quick response that seems to typify the company's dedication to customer service.). We know there is nothing better than curling up with a good book and letting the words on the page take you away to another time, place, and perspective. Fans of books will know exactly what we are talking about; Albion Books is a place where you can go to drown in literature. I love Pulp Fiction, but it is quite small. Website:www.tanglewoodbooks.ca

We are always happy to buy used books in good condition to add to our collection. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. : Pulpfiction books also has two other locations at 2754 West Broadway and 1830 Commercial Drive. A personal favourite of mine that didnt make the list is Paper Hound on Pender. call them in advance. Pulpfiction Books is a shining example of how bookstores can continue to grow, even in today's seemingly shrinking market. Weve been around for over three decades, and we are committed to the literacy and well-being of members of our community and the world at large. When the world starts to feel like too much, theres no better escape than a fantastic book. Sign in or register for your free account. Contact us at birdhousebookstore@gmail.com. When the world starts to feel like too much, theres no better escape than a fantastic book.

If you want to search for a book in this store, youre going on a quest. Emphasis on things Canadian. Website: MacLeod's Books on Yelp Books are where you wouldnt imagine in your wildest dreams, filling up the store completely. While any literature will do, theres something particularly comforting about an old book. They have lots of Manga and Japanese books, but they have a decent selection of English books too.

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook