1940s children's tv shows

Teri Silver (author) from The Buckeye State on May 26, 2019: Sorry, that's not striking a note. I don't remember them being so apologetic to each other, but they were certainly very polite. If you would like to make a comment/request below, please understand that vague memories are hard to target without a time frame (years presented), location, production company/director/vocal talent/cell artist, character name, or any other more specifically identifying feature. Colonel Bleep had a bubble-like helmet with a propeller; he rode a unicycle throughout space. Answer: Within all the Sylvester & Tweety cartoons, there were a number of outside characters that made appearances. If you are using an Ad-Blocker, it might have mistakenly blocked our content. Records kept on many old shows are kind of scarce (and many shows were locally produced). Question: Can you help me identify a cartoon I saw on TV in the 1950s that probably was from the 40s? Due to World War II, many television programs and stations shut down, leaving options for TV watchers very limited. Anyway, it was a color cartoon that showed a cowboy in love. After it went into to syndication, it probably did show in the Chicago area. "Fat Stuff" was a Hawaiian character often seen in various strip panels. The people would sing. (25% off), ad by OshoreShop Question: Was there a cartoon about an Indian boy and his donkey? The show. They are about 6 inches long and unroll to reveal the cartoon. To the best of my knowledge, Heckle and Jeckle cartoons are not on any DVD releases from Terrytoons (Paul Terry Animation) or its current owner. 15.49, 20.65 It has a fox, rabbit and bear that are involved in organized crime. Your input will affect cover photo selection, along with input from other users. 32.54, 81.35 From shop AndiJLucas, ad by MyVintageHatShop But many of these great old cartoons do not fit into today's society; we are now more cognizant of potentially racist and sexist profiles. For faster navigation, this Iframe is preloading the Wikiwand page for, Note: preferences and languages are saved separately in https mode. They lay and go to sleep. One is a Doctor's watch and the other is an Acrobat's watch. Give it a Google and see if this strikes a chord in your memory. I was fascinated with it! I cannot accommodate your memory but I have published it here -- you never know what readers may come up with! Have you seen any of these 1940s TV shows? t. Hi. Also, this page: http://www.esnarf.com/4420k.htm (do the pieces you have look like this?) That's all I can remember of it, other than the hippos trying to escape but dying and going into the clouds (at least in one scene?) You can find it on YouTube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQLEjeTxWg. The cartoon was created for Borden's Dairy, so the gnomes bottled the "sunshine" (milk) and then sprayed it all over the unhappy critters to convert them unto happy little bluebirds. With animated features' networks available on various cable/satellite/internet channels, some of these great cartoons may surface, now and then -- even on "regular" networks! Ad from shop MonkeyMonsterShirt mind you he's 66 and his mum would be 91 now had she survived!! The two characters rarely spoke. Mel Blanc is more likely the "Man of a Thousand Voices" as he did so many for Looney Tunes, Hannah-Barbera and other distributors (mostly uncredited). Very disturbing and definitely not a cartoon for children. In order to give you the best experience, we use cookies and similar technologies for performance, analytics, personalization, advertising, and to help our site function. Ad from shop MuGGShotsDesign Superheroes. From what you're describing, I also think it *could* be a Fleischer piece, but without more information, I cannot track it. Ad from shop JazzHandsPaintings It was a Max Fleischer cartoon created in 1936. Question: As a child, I remember seeing a black and white cartoon with a room full of elephants and donkeys screaming at each other saying I accept it, and I reject it. Our current political situation makes me think of that cartoon. In this seven-minute animated short, Betty Boop sings and runs against "Mr. Nobody" the House of Representatives is portrayed by elephants and donkeys. NxmZOO%2.UF^c}~SaoAyq|bfOKF. As always, I invite our readers here to add their knowledge of whatever they think might help in everyone's search. From shop JazzHandsPaintings, ad by sewmuchfrippery

As for your mom's particular memory, perhaps one of my readers can help (with an answer in the comments section). Answer: I remember Robert Shayne from his role in Christmas in Connecticut (starring Barbara Stanwyck), but of course, he had a long career as an actor in various movie and TV roles. Nashman2018 I just watched the video I felt like a kid again,lol. Ad from shop HumorStyle TV shows that aired between 1940 and 1949. I suggest doing an LT search with those keywords and seeing if the images that pop up can strike a chord with what you remember. If you buy it, review the manufacturing information carefully, as it could be a "Made on Demand" disc, instead of one released by Warner Bros. Home Video (which no longer produces them, I believe. I has no voices but only classical music. From shop MuGGShotsDesign, ad by NeverlandGiftsStudio

Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I love H & J too; I remember having old movies of their cartoons that we watched on a projector. From shop designbycede, ad by JazzHandsPaintings And they could transform themselves into any shape or object etc. In my memory I recall hanna barbera but I could be totally off. From shop TimebombVintageShop, ad by tvpstore TimebombVintageShop Do you know what that cartoon series was? Years ago, in a movie theater that played old classics, they had a cartoon before the feature.

Answer: If this is a character from an animated cartoon short from the '20s-'70s, I'm not familiar with it, sorry. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. The was a gnome-like character with a candle in his head. Answer: I wish I could see the characters in your memory but it may have been a very early production of Tom and Jerry, which began in the 1940s in black & white. Good luck! At the end of the movie, the candle gnome says "make sure you have an extra supply of candles." I remember that the main character was Toby. Answer: Well, yes and no. From shop MonkeyMonsterShirt, Sale Price 8.00 Question: There's a cartoon with squirrels in it, and they're singing about saving for the harvest.

Also it used a famous classical piece for the final scene, probably by Chopin. Question: Who was the character "Fat Stuff"? You might want to research Schlesinger; Leon Schlesinger studios eventually became Warner Bros, later, in the early '30s. Question: I remember watching a Disney-like cartoon special. (15% off), ad by SeraDesignStudio From shop MoonNightDesignStore, Sale Price 9.01 Ad from shop saltydogvintage Felix the Cat, the first character-driven series of animated cartoons, began as Feline Follies in 1919 -- becoming very popular during the 1920s. You can change your preferences any time in your Privacy Settings. They may have something in their archived files. % L14fycL&A_jg[}E 0aE Q"x,sdQ% VRQQt Answer: There are a couple I've come up with; one was a dog named Biscuit who was a semi/regular in the Barney Google and Snuffy Smith comic strip, and another of a racehorse named Tea Biscuit that was a feature in a Porky Pig cartoon (Porky and Tea Biscuit).

One of the earliest research studies in this bibliography was on the potential of television to damage the eye. Good luck in your search! Some of these cartoon squirrels you know are definitely not all that musical, such as "Rocky the Flying Squirrel," and some characters made appearances in other features that would not have specifically been credited. It featured different animals with their young, and was narrated. I've been looking for it forever. Nostalgia is a look at what we loved, way back when. The visitor is heard calling "Toby, Toby" to get him to join the others. Although optical toys can be traced back to the 17th century, many animation inventions came about in the 1800s, including the Taumatrope (1826); a spinning disc with different images on each side, suspended and pulled between two twisted strings) and the Phenakistoscope (1832); a series of still drawings on a disc moving against another disc with holes in it. Answer: You can't -- from any legal source, that is. It was wild animation. Major Edward Bowes, the, The Philco Television Playhouse is an American anthology series that was broadcast live on NBC from 1948 to 1955. What was the name of the cartoon? From shop NeverlandGiftsStudio, Sale Price 21.27 ad by MountainRelic She's the only character friend of Little Lulu with blonde hair (that I know of). Second it's about two pelicans or toucans that rides a bike and I think there was a snail that sang or see when they going some were going or just the one time I know sed you take the high road and will take the low road but don't know if he says the whole thing if you can help with one or both that would make my day. She called him Moz (Mos) which referred to "the ugliest pig in the world" and it stuck as his nickname. From shop BraunOlga, If you don't want others to see this collection, make it private. There were also a few Li'l Abner animated shorts released. Give them both a Google to see if anything strikes a chord in your memory. Any ideas? It was one of the most. Max Fleischer produced hundreds of cartoon shorts, a list is here on the IMDB page https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0281502/. Along with Bugs Bunny, Warner Bros. cartoons within the Golden Age of Animation featured the characters of Porky Pig, the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote, Daffy Duck, Pep Le Pew, Elmer Fudd, Tweety Bird and Sylvester, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn and many other favorites. RobinsHonorArt Their names were a take-off of the 18th-century cabinetmaker (Thomas Chippendale). Can anyone help? Ad from shop SeraDesignStudio Oh, those Saturday mornings when we couldnt wait to get out of bed and turn on the television -- it was cartoon time! The depth and variety (literally) back then was amazing as I think about it. I did check the cast lists for those cartoons; Robert Shayne was not on them. Answer: One thing I did find that struck me as similar to what you described is a live-action animated film called Coonskin (1975; Bakshi Productions). Does anyone recognize it? Ad from shop MountainRelic I asked the question about the cartoon with the hunted hippos and while your suggestion wasn't quite it, while searching your suggestion in youtube I also ran through the sidebar for other hippo-related cartoons and I finally found it! From shop HumorStyle, Sale Price 24.47 Ad from shop ngbluedesign Howdy Doody is an American children's television program that was created and produced by E. Roger Muir and telecast on the NBC network in the United States from December 27, 1947 until September 24, Kukla, Fran and Ollie is an early American television show using puppets, originally created for children but soon watched by more adults than children. Many of these shows were variety shows, starring the top comedians and personalities of the time, such as Fred Waring, Ted Mack, and Ed Sullivan. Peanut1, I believe I know the cartoon you are looking for. Cartoons take me to a nice space. My sister and I have been searching and searching.. any help is appreciated! Ad from shop MyVintageHatShop The show was hosted by Fred Waring and featured his choral group "The, Mary Kay and Johnny is an American situation comedy starring real-life married couple Mary Kay and Johnny Stearns. There may be a few H & Js on "classic cartoon" sets -- I've seen a few on VHS in secondary markets -- but whether or not they are fit for Australian units is something I couldn't tell you. The first chapter of Children and Television contextualizes the way that research about these topics is done. 12.51, 16.67 They got in particular trouble when they hid behind a building corner and had nowhere to go when the shadows turned the corner. Original Price 16.67 So I figure one of the Scandinavian countries? Does any body know this cartoon and where I could see it ? Even so, most sources do not catalog particular scenes or cels within a cartoon. The artwork was superb, with the people looking more like live action than cartoons. In May of 1928, Walt Disney Productions produced what was originally a silent short called Plane Crazy, featuring Mickey Mouse.

Im going to try to search for you.

I will run it by the Brass, but in the meantime, enjoy! Hi, Chris, although I can't say what you're looking for is in the following link (I didn't have a chance to look through it) but I found this page from the Berkeley library to be interesting in the amounts of information it has on animated films and shorts. Ring a bell? 24.47, 28.79 which involved some type of hunter hunting and killing hippos -- which I recall really upset me as a young child. 9.01, 15.02 I just want to hear that voice. It is possible that your local TV stations will have some information in their archives or city histories. Question: My mother is looking for a cartoon from the mid-70s, about two birds making a wedding cake on a country farm? Does anyone remember this cartoon, and the name? whQ!16Zc2UDN`6lA[lLK,XqcsD.p4^k ]/sU'IS>gO1=:=5N@ Answer: Sorry, but I would need more information to do a resource dig. t. I am trying to find a cartoon that I saw as a kid that was probably made in the 1940s- it was in color about the industrial progress in the US. Answer: In short, no, but I came up with a possibility: Faeries (1981). 8.00, 20.01 ArtisticalDesign Symptoms ranged from frogitis, caused by children sitting in front of the television with their knees folded to the side; TV bottom or an ache in the tailbone caused by sitting too long; or TV tummy, which was the consequence of becoming too excited during action-adventure shows. Was curious to find out what the programme or book was that this came from. anyone have any ideas? Teri Silver (author) from The Buckeye State on July 13, 2014: Thank YOU!

Hi Teri, about 1955, there was a cartoon shop either on radio or tv, where one of the characters was always calling the older character "Cap'n Fatty". saltydogvintage Question: Can you tell me the title of this cartoon? (40% off), ad by designbycede I think it was probably very old even then. (But local stations are hit or miss as to whether they've archived everything in those earlier eras, and many have undergone management and location changes, too). Would you like to suggest this photo as the cover photo for this article? Question: Recently, I came across a cast iron hood ornament, labeled "Dr. YAK," by the seller. I cannot accommodate this memory but perhaps one of our readers has seen this cartoon? Ad from shop AryaDesignUS They all wear the characteristic round flat hat with red and white stripes, a red bow tie & a red & white jacket with red and white stripes on white shirt. I am trying to find the name of a cartoon that was aired on my local TV station in the 80s but I am not sure if the cartoon was created in the 1970s or the 80s. MonkeyMonsterShirt It's a Merrie Melodies piece (Warner Bros.) -- give it a Google and see what you come up with. From shop RobinsHonorArt, ad by BraunOlga Does anybody know the name of a cartoon show about good space people battling bad space people. Instead the majority of early programming was scheduled as after school programming.

Question: My siblings and I remember a cartoon with a scene showing fish dancing and a radio voice over saying that there was a storm coming. HumorStyle ruff and reddy. sewmuchfrippery SeraDesignStudio From shop HoppeJasmin, ad by HumorStyle Walt Disney and his animator partner, Ub Iwerks, created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in 1927. 47.31, 52.56 for a tv cartoon from the 40s-50s that was about a bunch of mice who were making a wedding cake. I strongly believe it was a Disney cartoon but I could be wrong. One such cartoon was called Streamlined Greta Green. It was about a little girl playing outside who gets caught in a sudden snowstorm. TrendDekoUS

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ad from shop designbycede However, it wasnt until the mid-50s that Saturday morning cartoons were the norm, partially because it would take Hanna Barbera inventing new methods of animation to make cartoons financially feasible for the networks. Lots of good information I never knew. It did not have a script and was entirely, Truth or Consequences is an American television show originally hosted on NBC radio by Ralph Edwards and later on television by Edwards, Jack Bailey, Bob Barker, Bob Hilton and Larry Anderson.

I have a question, about an old cartoon, either from the 30's, 40's, or 50's. So this is really a noon-answer answer. From shop AryaDesignUS, Sale Price 12.51 Elves helping the shoemaker. (60% off), ad by HoppeJasmin Although many were later created in color, the Felix cartoons faltered financially in the 1930s, partly because of poor economic times but also because of legal issues over ownership rights. Thanks for any info !!!

Gotta find out whats in the box..wooo wooo'. I think the band is Charleston's time but I don't know. Teri Silver (author) from The Buckeye State on April 09, 2018: I have published Tracy's answer, but because it contains an outside link, I don't know if this platform will allow me to keep it there. Answer: The image you're describing does not strike a note, sorry. (in_8m]z@p(& %+g}%{9 4MD`f5g;J8l)qN8WB OSDU8SU3I)-( R$uh}`!J8+ux,|(Y,

Martial arts. It was replaced. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. (25% off), ad by GreenPointVintageCo Sound was here to stay, and cartoon animation followed the trend. 24.35, 34.80 Instead it explored its effects on childrens school grades, and how much and what kind of television they were viewing. Disney and Iwerks signed a contract to distribute Oswald through Universal Pictures, but the first cartoon, Poor Papa, was rejected because of poor quality. Teri is a journalist who enjoys writing about life and the cool stuff of yesteryear. If you ever saw it, you likely wouldn't forget it, it's so poignant (I was weeping at the end). Question: What cartoon had a mobster fox in a pinstripe suit? From shop CheapThrillWatches, Sale Price 47.31 If it was locally produced, you might want to ask the station you saw it on, there may be something in their archives. AryaDesignUS Before there was a Walt Disney Productions company, there were two animators working on a series of projects.

Teri Silver (author) from The Buckeye State on October 14, 2016: Hi, Chris, I wrote a long post with some info, but the post did not publish -- I cannot recreate it. Thank you for accessing this piece; I hope you have found what you're looking for! He looks like Frankie Sinatra"!!! Do you have any idea which cartoon it is? During the 1930 and 1940s, Fleischer Studios is credited with bringing Betty Boop, Popeye the Sailor, Superman and Koko the Clown to movie houses big screens. Answer: There was a 1935 cartoon short called The Sunshine Makers; the Sunshine Gnomes would "fight" with the Blue Devils of Melancholy, they were all about sadness and misery. A women who looks similar to Olive Oyl, and a factory/convert-belt what is making chocolates? Question: I remember cartoons displaying "The Modern Home," which was narrated by perhaps Ed Herlihy. Ad from shop BraunOlga Max Wong from Singapore on November 05, 2014: peachy from Home Sweet Home on September 23, 2014: i love all of them, too bad, can't see these cartoons anymore, these are far better than now. Ad from shop ArtisticalDesign The Sun! From shop MyVintageHatShop, ad by MayhemMetalz I've published your memory here in case another reader may know the answer. Original Price 20.01

In the cartoon segment when Alice goes under water after a storm, there are fish dancing and other elements of a dream) but the clip I've seen has no audio at all; it may be that way when placed online. I was responding to Ellis, but hit wrong button. Teri, I have a question you might be able to help with. Thanks! Find out more in our Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. I love this one, so happy to find again thanks!

In this cartoon, Andy Panda comes across an apple orchard with much signage that says Do Not Pick the Apples. Hush was voiced by actor Dallas McKennon. I remember the acrobat watch was walking on a tightrope, fell, and then the doctor watch performed open "heart" surgery and got her going again. The house floats to different scenes. It is a Modern Madcaps cartoon from 1959. Does anyone have a recollection of this? Steamboat Willie, also featuring Mickey Mouse and considered to be Disneys first animated sound cartoon, was released in 1928. As I recall, there was such detail in the events depicted. Hi, JD, I've done some searching but nothing is coming up, sorry. The show involves concealed cameras filming ordinary people being confronted with unusual. The rooster prances around a picture and the fox pounces, but gets caught in the picture and falls in a nearby well. Teri Silver (author) from The Buckeye State on May 04, 2020: Hi, Rick. Captain Sailorbird just introduced cartoons from Europe and Russia, retooled for the US market. They finished their contractual obligations on Oswald and began creating the cartoon that would become Mickey Mouse. I know this sounds goofey but I remember it to this day. Might be my grandpa watch that my grandpa is 1938 means he watch the Heckle and Jeckle.

HubPages is a registered trademark of The Arena Platform, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. He also voiced a number of roles that were not credited, so I can't say whether any of them were cartoons (specifically in the several seasons of the Rocky & Bullwinkle show). The show was a continuation of Major Bowes Amateur Hour which had been a radio staple from 1934 to 1945. The Disney company, with a sound-synchronization process called Cinephone, produced a number of sound cartoon shorts in the 1930s, most of them featuring Mickey Mouse. Have you heard of anything like that? i specifically remember stars being drawn inside of stars, & they talked about how a piece of paper can only be folded in half a few times, but if you did it enough you could reach the moon. Ad from shop tvpstore Walter Lantz Productions created a few popular characters but perhaps none so much as Woody Woodpecker, which was introduced in Andy Pandas cartoon called Knock Knock. Answer: Although I do not know what's in your memory, there are a couple of Warner Bros. Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies' animated shorts that come to mind; they are voiced by Mel Blanc. It is a 1924 black & white clip from Disney, back when they were working with combining the two elements (that later brought us the original Mary Poppins). I was also looking for this cartoon; thanks for mentioning that it was a Dr's and acrobat's watches! JazzHandsPaintings Teri Silver (author) from The Buckeye State on May 31, 2016: Carlos, that rings a bell for me, too. It wasn't in that one about the sun makers from Bordens. Ad from shop RobinsHonorArt List of the best shows from the 1940s, as ranked by television fans. Supposedly, on Amazon, there a few of the cartoons on compilation Terrytoon sets with other animated character shorts (for streaming availability) but they are not always available. Their librarians may be able to give you more information. I'd love to watch this and more like it. You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. Yes! They proceed to have their hair done, their skin de-wrinkled and their bodies reshaped. I may have requested this years ago, but I am still searching for a cartoon titled (or re-titled) A FOX GETS CAUGHT.

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook