top classical record labels

This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more). Apart from brilliant sound, there's a lot of unique repertoire." They still puts out good records, but they're infatuated with a small cast of world-famous players. var pid = 'ca-pub-8422372418218742'; In 1987 EMI Classics acquired Virgin Classics. var ffid = 1; var container = document.getElementById(slotId); A small label originally from Italy has been working on the recording market since 1983, and all this time has been striving to maintain the traditions of analog mastering. Right he is, and lovers of classical rarities done well should investigate. that note doesnt really mean anything. The world's largest high-end audio community. 2022 is the year to get into the music industry. You may already have an idea what your song is about. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. ins.dataset.adChannel = cid; There are several funny and at the same time absurd stories connected with the Decca label. It's also released an almost equal amount of duds. But Naxos reach has greatly spread and while most large labels have shrunk down to the same cast of composers and performers, Naxos has branched out to just about every type of classical music you can want. Arguably, even better than Deutsche Grammophon. These labels are obviously orders of magnitude smaller than DG, Decca, etc, but as a result, nothing but quality gets through. lo.observe(document.getElementById(slotId + '-asloaded'), { attributes: true }); View our Top 10 Classical Music CD recommendations. A contemporary label generally, and more consistent than BIS in quality.

Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. and Nonesuch were somehow able to recreate the sound of an AM radio at the bottom of an empty swimming pool. There are also some pretty good sounding Columbia 6 eyes, with some of the finest performances ever put on disc by conductors like Bruno Walter, Eugene Ormandy, and yes, Leonard Bernstein, whose stature in my eyes and ears over the years, has grown considerably..Have a good time searching, and good listening . If you want good sound, excellent surfaces, and a good base of artists to draw from, don't overlook the LP's from Phillips. Use Gemtracks to find a mastering engineer to put the final touches on your song. Get your FREE eBook on how to skyrocket your music career. Select your genre, 40+ Classical Record Labels ACCEPTING Demo Submissions in 2022, 7 Top Websites That Pays (A LOT) To Write Lyrics, 10+ Ways to Get Signed to a Record Label + Get Recording Deal in 2022, 15+ PROVEN Ways to Get a Record Label Deal (Signing + Meeting), Music Gateway Review - Distribution, Mastering (2022 UPDATE), BitSong Review 2022: Pros, Cons, Complaints, 14 Spotify Playlist Curators + Contact List ACCEPTING Submission in 2022, 5+ Best Guitar Chairs and Stools (Wood) in 2022, Music 101: What Is A Song Plugger + Why YOU Need One, 2022 Indie NYC Record Labels ACCEPTING Demos, 5+ Things Record Labels Looking for in Artists in 2022, Proven Ways to Get Nominated for a Grammy in 2022, 15+ Music Blogs to Submit Your Music For Free, 2022 Record Labels in Sydney, Australia ACCEPTING Demos From Singers, 2022 Record Labels ACCEPTING Demos from Artists, 15+ Gift Ideas for Singers in 2022 (Christmas, Birthday), 30+ European Record Labels ACCEPTING Demo Submissions in 2022. Why would DG make these lower quality versions of their back catalogue available? Here you can explore our catalogue, learn about our artists, and catch up on our latest news and events. In 1946, Polydor finally became a popular music label, while Deutsche Grammophon started releasing classical recordings. Polydor Records was formed in 1924 as an independent branch of the German company Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft. However, for new releases, they are almost entirely devoid. too. The same as Aeon, except even less consistent! I greatly admire the spirit of Hyperion. Favourites - cpo (fantastic variety), Hyperion (mainly for Robert Simpson series plus its usual 'luxury class' documentation), Naxos (most improved after indifferent first few years). This site and all of its contents are protected under United States and international copyright law and treaties. RCA Living Stereo - shaded dog pressings; Mercury Living Presence - FR/RFR pressings; Decca/London/Argo - blue back covers; Columbia - 6 eye pressings; London Phase 4 Stereo; EMI original pressings engineered by Christopher Parker + EMI Speakers Corner reissues; Lyrita (19/20th century British classical music - not to everyone's taste); pre-digital Hyperion; French Harmonia Mundi. The audiophile label from Austria releases mainly jazz and classical albums on various media, today there are about 20 releases on reels in the assortment. One of the main "losers" of the 60s, Decca refused to sign contracts with several future megastars at once-the Beatles, the Yardbirds. Decca is very successful in this genre. H&M makes a good crossover between small label and big label. Which I have! He has always been her exclusive performer. Most of the catalogue is on Spotify and other cloud streaming services. Between them you will always be able to find the music you're looking for at a reasonable price. I consider Naxos as the best company because they record music few other companies will and at a quite reasonable price. SONG NAME" what a wonderful name for a(n) GENRE song! The melody is the tune or pitch of your lyrics when you sing. Which Apex is the OP talking about? However, until 1970 they owned a contract with the Rolling Stones. Work with an award-winning songwriter from Gemtracks to brew up something poetic and meaningful. var asau = '2307856141'; Gemtracks gives you priority access to exclusive A-Class recording studios around the world. Later the budget reissue labels Sine Qua Non (shudder!) var cid = '2516240716'; var lo = new MutationObserver(window.ezaslEvent); Gemtracks has a directory of professional singers that can record a demo track for you. In 1980, the Columbia Masterworks label was renamed CBS Masterworks. The label's slogan is "The most beautiful music after silence". ins.style.minWidth = container.attributes.ezaw.value + 'px'; We attempt to demystify the classical CD-buying process, sending you well on your way to building your own collection. As part of Sony Classical, the "Vivarte" series has been released, dedicated exclusively to music played on period instruments. We have over a decade of experience creating beautiful pieces of custom-made keepsakes and our state of the art facility is able to take on any challenge. var slotId = 'div-gpt-ad-gemtracks_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0'; ECM is a jazz label founded in 1969 by Manfred Eicher. Luckily though, they're finally releasing their back catalog best-sellers in 96/24. Disques Pierre Verany. Most classical works have dozens or hundreds of recordings; your choice of CD will be influenced by a variety of factors, including price, quality of the performance, and what other works are on the CD. Mercurys are widely cherished. container.appendChild(ins); https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Classical_music_record_labels&oldid=950805947, Template Category TOC via CatAutoTOC on category with 201300 pages, CatAutoTOC generates standard Category TOC, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 13 April 2020, at 23:03. all labels have all had their moments. Decent compilations, but that's mostly it. The three I tend to look for are Deutsche Grammophone, Decca or Hyperion. Dorian is based, surprisingly, in Troy, New York. With my listening of Kochkin's 24 Preludes and Fugues, and reflecting on previous Naxos releases like Sinigaglia's string music and Wenchen Qin's Concertos, it occurred to me that the label I once looked at as a "last resort" is now the pre-eminent classical record label. 5 Proven Steps to Succeed in the Music Business, I can help you enter the music industry. Unique "drill-down" interface makes searching a breeze. The shaded box indicates the best retailer for a given category. Yes, Remington LPs can be pretty awful - and have some peculiar covers, uidentifiable orchestras etc. I have not been near as satisfied with the re-issues and would not pay the going prices for them. However, they also have gone into the trite and wasteful avenue of sponsoring with blatant non-classical music, pop music, electronic music. This catalog contains some amazing performances that were captured by two amazing recording engineers. Everything on their label is pretty much an archival release. Naxos doesn't feature big-name performers and audio quality varies, but they record EVERYTHING. Invariably, the earliest Mercuries, typed lettered FR-1,FR-2,etc., are superior sonically to the later hand inscribed RFR-1, RFR-2, etc. Mastering is important because it makes your song sound perfect on all devices in the car, your phone speaker and even on Spotify. Too often, great ideas and memories are left in the digital realm, only to be forgotten. Whether you're a musician, a newbie, a composer or a listener, welcome. Use Gemtracks to find record labels, playlists, magazines and blogs to submit your song to. Naxos is one of my favorites. I probably have more recordings on DG, Decca, EMI, cpo, Harmonia Mundi, Chandos, Coro, Chaconne, Zig Zag, ECM, Naxos, & RCA than on anything else. If you want good sound, excellent surfaces, and a good base of artists to draw from, don't overlook the LP's from Phillips. Compared to 1999, the average music consumer was under 30 and spent $28 a year. " ins.style.display = 'block';

Everyone here pretty much nailed it, but one other label worth mentioning is Telarc. The recording is carried out on Nagra 45 and Studer C37 machines, the store's assortment today includes more than fifty names of reels with the music of various directions, including classical music. Many of my favourite recordings of works are on the Naxos label. By the way, in addition to jazz albums, the company also records experimental music, electronic jazz, as well as modern classical music. Find an original beat by an award-winning beat maker now. Reginald Mobley All rights reserved. A great resource for contemporary music; sadly limited in all other areas. Artists: Camel, Rolling Stones, Savoy Brown, Marianne Faithfull. Naxos is considered a "budget" label, but the recordings are usually excellent with top notch performers. My favorite labels are KAIROS, NEOS, Col Legno, Mode, and ECM. CDs usually sell for around list price; many are 10-15% off.

A few favorites are: ECM, Hyperion, BIS, DG, Sony. In addition to classical music recordings, some crossover titles are also represented in the catalog. "dsf" what a wonderful name for a(n) rap song! This will be adequate for a little while, but as you gain experience you will realize that the cheap CD isn't very good; you will long for something better, and the money you originally spent will be wasted. There's also been less contemporary music on the New Series in recent years, which is a bit of a let down. But until the 70s, the company was happy to record Rolling Stones records. Today, the ECM music catalog consists of about 700 unique recordings, among which there are many editions of the best classical and jazz musicians in the world. Now expose your song to as many people as possible to win new fans. For example here are some for Chopin's first piano concerto. I fail to understand why they continue to be ignored by classical record lovers, especially since they can still be gotten relatively easily and at much lower prices than the big "collector's items". The Classical trinity is Deutsche Grammophon/Archiv, Decca and Phillips. The resulting sound is a little more "confused" than say a Mercury, or a DG, but in my opinion it sounds more "live" as a result. Shipping is free on orders of $25 or more. I wasn't expecting something so great at such reasonable price! Use our submission service to send your songs to Spotify playlists, magazines and even record labels! Gemtracks is a marketplace for original beats and instrumental backing tracks you can use for your own songs. Despite the popularity of much newer musical genres, classical music remains very popular. And the most important thing is that the reason for the refusal was the unfounded uncertainty of the company in the talent and commercial success of the musicians. Nonesuch did improve dramatically in later years, producing its own outstanding releases with superb sound, many of which remain among the best available, especially for contemporary American composers of the 70s and 80s. In 1954, the famous red Polydorovian label appeared.

Harmonia Mundi is a smaller label that I've had good experiences with and I think a lot of people here can back that up. Buying classical music recordings is more complicated than buying popular music. On this particular CD, the liner notes in English make sense, and are appropriate - a nostalgic remembrance of hearing Backhaus perform the "Emperor" Concerto by Piero Rattalino. At the top of most pages there are suggested recordings. The archival releases, granted, are among the greatest available. (also: the reissue line for Hyperion is Helios, not Alto, who licence from a wide variety of labels recordings going as far back as the 1920s). If you are also a fan of classical music, or perhaps are a classical composer, here are some record labels that may be of interest to you. The Suddeutsche Zeitung has described Sebastian Bohren as one of the most serious-minded, forthright musicians of his generation. } if(typeof window.adsenseNoUnit == 'undefined'){ window.ezoSTPixelAdd(slotId, 'adsensetype', 1); After all, classical music was the original musical art that flourished in the last century in Europe. ArkivMusic has the largest selection of classical CDs of any online music store, and their web site is very easy to use. A complete wild card! DG's legacy is almost entirely due to their back catalog. Don Gabor's Remington label set a standard of low production quality in the early 1950s that few could meet thereafter. His second passion is analog sound recording, it is not by chance that his last creations were reel-to-reel tape recorders. Depends what you mean by "best", but if you're basically asking what would we pick as a ONE "desert island" label -. For many years, the label remained the second largest record company in the world.

Read about how to start a Classical Music CD Collection, Getting Started | Top 10 CDs | Composers | Eras | Genres | CD Buying Guide Links | About Us | Contact Us | Site Map. I find the traditional labels such as DG, Decca, Philips, Sony and RCA increasingly disappointing. JavaScript is disabled. They have most of the big names and there's not much difference between them, as far as I can tell. ins.dataset.fullWidthResponsive = 'true'; At the same time, the company tries not only to release recordings of famous artists, such as Luciano Pavarotti but also supports young musicians in every possible way, allowing them to record their music in the best quality. DG whilst having impeccable performances on the whole, have put out a fair amount of blandly engineered product, not to mention some inexplicable cover art. They are also private and you won't find them on streaming services. For example, representatives of Decca once did not agree to conclude a contract with such future legends of the music world as the Beatles and the Yardbirds. Some of them tend to have a little too much treble emphasis, and might be a bit lacking in warmth. Colin Jacobsen

Find a melody composer to make your song memorable. The following 200 pages are in this category, out of approximately 239 total. Most of the albums were recorded at the ECM Studio in Oslo. In the 80s, Polydor continued to be a force in the music business, although it moved into the shadow of Mercury Records, another branch of PolyGram. ECM became one of the first popularizers of World Music in Europe. var pid = 'ca-pub-8422372418218742'; CDs usually sell for around list price; full-price CDs (over $15) are usually cheaper than at Amazon. If you look up Chopin on Spotify, to give only one example, there is a dizzying amount of stuff. Another one of my favourite labels is Hyperion, which is excellent but expensive. ins.style.minWidth = container.attributes.ezaw.value + 'px'; ins.dataset.adSlot = asau; Linn has put out many high quality classical releases. With a little thought and research, you can get a recording you'll be happy with for years to come. They record a lot of less performed music. Challenge Classics, Capriccio, NEOS, NMC, Hanssler, Nimbus are all fine labels. This series will feature harpsichordist Bob van Asperen, cellist Anner Bielsma, lutenist Lutz Kirchhof, ensemble Huelgas conducted by Paul van Nevel, ensemble Tafelmusik, ensemble Musica Fiata conducted by Ronald Wilson and chamber ensemble L'Archibudelli. Among the label's Italian artists are Franco Battiato with Messa Arcaica and Angelo Branduardi with recordings from the Futuro Antico series. Sony Classical dates back to 1927 when Columbia Masterworks was founded, an American record label, a subsidiary of Columbia Records, which over the years produced recordings by such famous artists as Elliott Goldenthal, Pablo Casals, Isaac Stern, Eugene Ormandy, Vladimir Horowitz, Vangelis, and Leonard Bernstein. Welcome to the website for AVIE Records, the leading independent classical label with a unique, artist-ownershipmodel. Here are some factors to consider: Price is obviously an important aspect of your decision, but it's not the only factor. Come join the discussion about arrangements, collections, techniques, instruments, styles, reviews, classifieds, and more! Harmonia Mundi is also very good. Search engine usually returns what you're looking for, but irrelevant results will be interspersed. The Knights This producer/DJ is a freaking BEAST! Very easy to browse! Some of this is a matter of taste. Seller has the most incredible beat I have ever heard. Many CDs are reviewed by professional writers from. This category has only the following subcategory. Oddly (and with no logical reason that I can detect), an excerpt from this remembrance also comprises the liner notes for a different Ermitage CD featuring Clara Haskil and Arthur Grumiaux performing works by Beethoven and Mozart. A third of the US population are paying $120 a year on music streaming. The original recording can be either analog or digital.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'gemtracks_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_9',190,'0','0'])};if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gemtracks_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0')}; if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'gemtracks_com-banner-1','ezslot_10',622,'0','0'])};if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gemtracks_com-banner-1-0')};The Italian label, one of the regulars of the Munich High-End Show, has been serving the cause of the revival of music on reels for many years. if(ffid == 2){ This label was born as a native jazz one.

Decca is basically a dead label. In 1972, Polydor merged with Phonogram Records and began a new life in the United States under the name PolyGram. The reason I say this is that different labels have a different characteristic sound.

Putting the matter simply, Ermitage's packaging for English-speaking audiences needs work. The old CBS recordings are the worst , special on vinyl. ins.style.width = '100%'; Other honorary mentions: Capriccio, not least for its impressive Kurt Weill catalogue and Decca for its enterprising 'Entertete Musik' edition (which should have continued). Thanks to everyone who helped out. actually, digital recordings have far greater resolution that analog, and a much larger dynamic range. Today, the label's catalog includes about 700 original recordings. } Press J to jump to the feed. Large selection, especially from the major labels. Thanks again. The home to many legendary records and collections. Artists: James Brown, Jean Michel Jarre, James Last, Raiif(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'gemtracks_com-narrow-sky-1','ezslot_20',195,'0','0'])};if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-gemtracks_com-narrow-sky-1-0')}; CBS was acquired by Sony, and CBS Records Masterworks subsequently became Sony Classical Records. Because the one I know offer budget priced reissues from Warner-owned labels, including the Erato he praises, and warrant no bashing at all. Agree with all the replies here but I'm just putting in another recommendation for Deutsche Grammophon. Favorites : Deutsche Grammophon, Decca, Erato, Philips, Harmonia Mundi, Naxos :angel: Decidedly poor labels are very few in the CD business - mostly super-budget labels whose name I forget since I dont buy or keep them - CDs, where the soloist names arent there, or changed into something else, for example. Dorian Recordings. I only recently started using Spotify and it's fantastic but some of the Deutsche Grammaphon albums are disappointing when it comes to sound quality; this goes for albums I've listened to on CD and are fine recordings, so it has something to do with streaming. Classic performances, like Wilhelm Backhaus performing Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. They seem to have all the top performers and conductors with them. Deutsche Grammophon introduced a CD to the mass market for the first time, debuting classical music performed by Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in 1983, the first recording being Eine Alpensinfonie. I find Chandos and Harmonia Mundi are reliable lablels. The last step is to master your mixed song. In the early 60s, the orchestra leader Bert Kampfert signed an unknown British band Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers to the label. var cid = '2516240716'; In 2013, EMI Classics was sold along with Virgin Classics (the latter merged into the Erato catalog) to Warner Music Group, which operates the catalog through the classical division of its Warner Classics group. You have to buy from their website to download. A typical session lasts three days: two days for recording, one day for mixing. Find a mixing engineer to combine your beat and vocals so they "sit" together. My favorites are Naxos, Harmonia Mundi, Hyperion, BIS, Chandos, Channel Classics, ECM, Musica Omnia, CPO, Avie, Hanssler Classics, MDG, Ondine and a few others. Gemtracks houses award-winning melody composers for you to work with. That being said, the amount of love and care poured into their releases is evident in crystal clear sound quality and new and engaging recordings of classics and sometimes contemporary music. The label produces modern classical music, experimental and electronic jazz. Your first impulse may be to buy the cheapest available recording of the work you want. lo.observe(document.getElementById(slotId + '-asloaded'), { attributes: true }); The excellent recording and print quality helped DGG to succeed in America and attract artists such as the Boston Pops Orchestra (after a 35-year association with RCA Victor) and Arthur Fiedler. And the bet was played! Their catalogue is DANK. However they did have some interesting soloists at times - like the pianist Kilenyi. Any idea how easy/hard it would be to buy digital downloads from them from the US? So I made a thread a couple days ago asking for recommendations for slower "beautiful" classical songs, and you guys really delivered. The Great Recordings ~ By America's Preeminent Guitar Manufactured in Bologna, Italy. If you look at the pic of the album covers in Spotify there's a little note in the corner that says "digital recording". By the 1970s, DGG had established a reputation for high-quality recordings in the field of classical music, as well as a distinguished roster of contract singers, musicians, and conductors. Just know what you're getting into! "You must have no dependence on your own genius. We recommend ArkivMusic as a first choice for buying classical music CDs. Great music, great quality, great packaging. "Star" system allows you to tell at a glance whether other people liked the CD. The Deccas produced in Germany fall far short soundwise compared to the British pressings. Lisa Kaplan Don't expect any minimalism beyond the mystic minimalism of Arvo Part or John Tavener, however. Weve done the legwork and spent countless hours on finding innovative ways of creating high-quality prints on just about anything. I just don't have the desire to go through a "grading" list at this moment. I personally like some of the older Decca recordings because the recordings capture the ambience of the venue. A number of the Mercuries are overrated, both in sound and performance. ins.dataset.adSlot = asau; (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); container.style.width = '100%'; It was formed in ' 69 by Manfred Eiher. EMI Classics was founded in 1990 to distribute classical music recordings internationally, combining titles that had been released in different countries under the names of different labels: His Master's Voice, Angel, Odeon, Seraphim, Columbia, and others. Yes, Decca, EMI, Warner, Sony and DG are still around, but they seem a bit tired. Factors to Consider When Buying Classical Music CDs. No part of this site, including the text, design, images, or layout may be copied, reproduced, or used in any form by any means. Most labels are quite competent otherwise they'd have gone out of business long ago. Are there performers/labels I want to follow, who are really well known for great studio quality and playing? The sound quality of their records is impeccable and yet they're a much more niche source. However, there are currently two major online retailers of classical CDs: ArkivMusic and Amazon.com. Also, as a conductor, Antal Dorati was not in the same league with Reiner, Klemperer or Beecham. window.ezoSTPixelAdd(slotId, 'stat_source_id', 44); Here are some pointers on where to shop and how to choose recordings. Sony Classical has also reissued a series of discs from the Seon label, founded and produced by Wolf Erichson in the 1970s and 1980s. Yes, a good number of the earlier (and thicker) pressings sound very nice. Yes, Gabor recorded the unknown and the forgotten, sometimes with interesting results. Nevertheless, the main releases of the label are recordings of concert performances of today's classical masters, which are produced exclusively in analog form. 2022 is the year to enter the music industry.

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook