teddy bear cut golden retriever

I took him to be trimmed down and the groomer recommended shaving him, which I always thought made a goldie look silly. Their most noticeable attribute, their gorgeous, golden fur, sets them apart in the canine kingdombut also come with a few special instructions to keep it shiny, chic and looking fabulous. greeter goldens teddybear

I love dogs. We have used them on a couple of Goldens, and at first the hair was growing back normally. I don't know what to do and now I am not so sure if I want to take him in to a groomer. Just picked up my 11 year old golden at my regular groomer where she was left for her "summer trim" only to find that she had been shaved because that is what "everyone is doing now." Can Dogs Eat Berries? There isnt actually much cutting involved with this haircut. Some have come back for the next grooming and asked me to scissor the dog a little shorter. *Note: the undercoat pictured is only a tiny fraction of what was removed from this dogs coat. They kept reassuring me that they "know how to groom goldens". My goldie is 11 and half years old and she gets very hot in the summer. It does require regular brushing. However, it looks doubtful that his pants (feathers) are going to come back. My wife dropped our dogs off yesterday asking for a basic golden haircut which is what we have always called it when bringing them to that groomer and is comparable to your basic all over trim, and when she came home from picking them up was almost in tears because they gave both of our dogs a cut comparable to your golden puppy cut which was very different from what my wife had grown use to seeing them like. I must say I am so glad that I did. I also clip out the belly and skim down the inside of the back legs to give a nice, neat look. I totally believe that the dogs know when they are looking good. I am new to this breed.

I just don't understand why they would take it upon themselves to shave your dog without your permission.I would ask your Vet about supplements. It will keep them looking good, cool and still protected from the sun. The first time was not so bad, but I still shopped around before the second groom. You've given great advice, too. Tango, though, was shaved for her elbow surgery, but her coat grew back very normally. The dogs have towelling dressing gowns/coats that they wear to help them dry off after a bath or swim ( essential for my 11 year old ) & then cool coats that can be soaked in water for hot summer days. Their double coat means that they require a lot of attention, and as well as regular brushing, your Golden may benefit from a regular cut. She also gets a trim just less then the other two. How do you know if it's damaged or not? The only feathers she left were on his tail. teddy labradoodle bear australian labradoodles puppy goldendoodle dog cute doodle golden dogs beau monde giant california puppies mix baby cutest What does a puppy cut entail on a golden? How often should I shampoo the dog, (I do this in the lake with friendly shampoo) if she swims daily? I am speechless. I have found, while talking to the owners, that a lot of them will say.

Loving dogs is a great start. Heres What To Do, Answered by Dr. Olivia Speight, BVSc MRCVS (Vet), Have a cat? I love your post and how to "Short but not shaved" for the golden! Thanks too all the groomers out there who take the time to talk to us owners to make sure we are both on the same page, when it comes to groomer our best friends. I have a question about my golden who loves to swim.

The fur is cut to around half an inch in length and is trimmed to the same length all over their body. There are some Goldens with hair so thick that it doesn't fully dry between their swim/splash in the lake/river in the evening and their swim/splash the next day. Happy clipping! This breed has a tendency to get ear infections, so its important to have their ears checked and cleaned regularly. I have been blow drying the ears after swims, to help. Nicole is the proud mom of Rosa, a New Zealand Huntaway, and Baby, a Burmese cat. goldendoodle I will look up how to trim ears as he gets terrible mats in his ears. I had a Golden in on Saturday that gets one of the shortest cuts that I do on a Golden, so I used her to show the different trims. I always did it myself, his feet, nails, tail, feathers on his front and back legs. ~A CoatKing can also be used to thin out the neck, chest, and rear. You will need to ensure that it follows the right shape and that you do a good job of cutting areas like the paws. Your couch (and your pup) will thank you. It is more shaped than a puppy cut but can be as short. Though its not a good idea to shave your golden retrievers hair, some owners are desperate for ways to keep their pups hair shorter in hot, humid weather. She really loves it and it puts a new spring in her step. I have 2 Goldens (ages 11 & 7) and do most of their bathing at home. A forum community dedicated to Golden Retriever owners and enthusiasts. That is how I ended up here. I know that the Grooming School that I went to 29 years ago only taught 'shave downs' and 'Pattern cuts', nothing in between.

I personally think golden retrievers look cooler with shaved hair probably because my head is shaved! You would have to spend some time calling around to find these types of groomers. Any pointers, advice would be very welcome.

We live on the river and the Boys love to swim a couple times a week, along with rolling in fresh cut grass, and the occasional pile of "smelly stuff". Hi Even I am completely against shaving a golden.We were always taught at the grooming school not to clipper and only scissor a golden. Stay on top of cat food recalls here >, Have a dog? However you decide to groom your golden retriever, theyre going to look fluffy, fantastic and cuddlyand youll be happy once you find the right style that fits in with your family (and budget and free time). His back feathers are so hard to maintain, as he spends hot summer days laying in a doggy pool and becomes so matted. Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet. :) Good luck.Lisa, MFF. :). After the initial shock of the dog now looking like a lab he is much more happier. Thank you. You can take off as little as enough hair to just neaten, a 1/4 inch, 1/2 an inch, half the fringe, to all of the fringe off.

Some Golden's I will totally hand scissor to the length I am looking for. It took us a while but we had finally found a groomer we liked and have been going there ever since our older golden was 2 years old. I just started back up with grooming after being at home for 15 years raising babies and I have been shocked that my large corporate place of grooming employment also shaves Labradors and Pugs!! . I don't have any pictures of a shaved Golden, having not ever shaved one, but I have seen them shaved, and excuse me for saying, it is a sorry sight. Learn more. Come the end of the summer, she is full of mats, sometimes the size of a hotdog. If it is a very small business, the credit cards fees are TOO high for them to take credit cards. I have goldens because I love their long feathers & soft wavy coats. Hi, I just wanted to comment and say that this blog really helped me out. I had to learn that on my own. A 'swimmers cut' sounds like it is just the thing for Goldens that are always swimming. If that is not possible, there are groomers out there that groom only one dog at a time and only keep your dog as long as the grooming takes. Of the 40 or so Golden clients we have, we do shave a handful with a #5F in a "swimmers cut". This is similar to a trim because you follow the existing shape of your dogs coat. If anything, I'd only ever consider shaving the under-belly of an older dog in the summer. The simple trim is functional and primarily benefits you, as the owner. Her fur is so soft now that I just love to pet it and she is adorable with the overgrown puppy look. lol If your Lake is anything like the Lake at my Mothers cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I would try to make a habit of rinsing your dog down with the garden hose AFTER each swim. I skimmed and scissored about 2" off of the chest. Golden Retriever Health, Anatomy & Breed Standard, Choosing A Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. I can always take more off, but I can't put it back on. Hi Alecia,I am so sorry that you have had this bad experience. Loved your step by step approach. Thanks. My biggest pet peeve is groomers shaving Goldens!! Try to brush and cut any and all mats out of the coat BEFORE she swims, or you give her a bath.

You should brush frequently.

I don't know how other groomers feel about it, but I think that the coat on a Golden Retriever is one of things that makes this breed so beautiful. I wanted to show other groomers that there are other ways of shortening a Goldens coat without reaching for the #10 or #15 blade. Keeping your Golden Retriever looking cute is all about tending to that fur. Hi, my dod has a lot of anxiety, and freaks out when we get to the groomer. I would also continue to brush the coat even though it is short now, to help boost the coat to grow. She has 3-4 inch long hair on top of her head that sometimes stands up like a punk,or a powder puff, or lies down flat over her head like the dumb blonde she is. I had cut his belly way down already but no where else. My 2 year old goldie was panting constantly I thought he had a medical issue. That was not my intention. I groom my own 3 Goldens because it can be pricey. Glad you decided to keep his gorgeous golden locks. How do I trim, just a bit, the back of his front legs? If I don't she ends up with more tangles, junk caught in those pretty long flowing feathers, knots, burrsetc. teddy bear mix retriever golden spaniel cocker barbara santa I love this post (several years from the time it was posted!) This way you could try the groomer out, and ask questions with your dog right there, to see if that particular groomer would groom your Doodle the way YOU want. Is there a way to remedy this, short of shaving the hair near her ears? They're still insisting on a clip off grrrrrrrrrrrr. pisses me off but in the end I have to do what I'm asked to do.So, I try to keep the coat as long as possible. We hope these hairstyle ideas have been useful for jazzing up your pups coif. I am a professional Pet Groomer.

I have a 7 month old mini Golden Doodle who needs a clipping. The worst part is the head is still the original color of the dog and the coat doesn't ever grow back to normal, it just grows thicker!!! I will never shave a golden unless absolutely absolutely necessary. Because the feathering was not very long on this dog to begin with, I only neatened the feathering by taking about a 1/2" off. They make excellent hunting and working dogs as well as family companions. I have used the meds and washed and cleaned the house. I aim to use a #5 blade or longer. Trust me, I have no problem with dog hair. this was one of the features that made him stand out and I am really worried and upset that this has happened. It's a process. This way you don't cut into the beautiful top coat.Thanks for reading my blog.

Basically everything except his body. Hepper is reader-supported. Judge me if you must, but our priority is the dog, and we do believe that this is better for the dog "in this case". Thankfully it did, but it took awhile.It sounds like the first groomer was more conservative and most likely would have taken more hair off for you at the second grooming if you told her that she didn't take it short enough with the first grooming.I tell all of my customers that I would rather not take enough off than too much. I get all of the hair off of the belly, but I clip very lightly, if that makes any sense.Lisa, MFF. Because of this, I have not had her groomed recently, though she needs it! This cut seems to be the preferred style for most owners (and groomers) since it stays true to your golden retrievers natural hair. I wish I had started years ago, writing some of the experiences I have had while grooming. Thanks for this bloglove it! I can't begin to know why they shaved your dog when you told them exactly what you wanted.

This will help to rinse scum and whatever else is in the Lake water from her coat.If you can, I would also stop washing her with the Lake water. ~A HV blow dry to remove most of the undercoat. NEVER shave your golden. Sam was basically shaved when we got him last summer because he had hot spots. Featured image credit: Olena Brodetska, Shutterstock, 25 Hilariously Relatable German Shepherd Memes, Why Do Dogs Hate the Mailman? What blade no do u use for clipping the belly (#10 i am guessing), Hi,Clip combs can look really nice on some Goldens as long as they are used after the dog has been bathed and completely combed out. It has been a busy week.I am so sorry that this happened to your Golden. And contrary to common belief, it does not stop shedding - the undercoat is exposed and will shed. IF YES what length wud u suggest? I also saved her on the overall price. Take a gallon of warm water and add two table spoons of baking soda to it. They put on that act, just like a child going to kindergarten, to see if their owner will take them right back home.If your dog is one of the dogs that really stresses when away from their owner, or away from home, you may want to try a Mobile Groomer that can groom your dog in a Grooming Van right outside of your house. If the mats are left to air dry, they will tighten up and may leave sores on her skin.It might be helpful to take her to get a professional grooming at the beginning of the summer, let the groomer give her a nice tight trim like in the pictures above so that hopefully she will not get matted over the summer while swimming. If they can't, they will explain the grooming to you without lecturing you.Lisa, MFF. Just make sure that the groomer understands that you DO NOT want her shaved and that you only want her feathering shortened. I am telling the groomer to trim and shorten feathering (mainly their rear end as it seems to be the smelly part). reduce the amount of fur that gets into sofas. I feel so sorry for this once beautiful animal, and don't understand what has happened. I shaved my sheltie and it grew back and looks the same so I thought I could do the same with him. I have a red golden like in the pics and really need a groomer and can't find one that know how to groom goldens correctly. Hi,I am so sorry it has taken me a while to reply. This is a very helpful article.

Now I'm more confident that I just have to redouble my efforts with the undercoat and hose her down after her daily pond adventure! Be preparedPet grooming is a very hard physical job, but the reward is knowing that you sent a dog home feeling really good. I will start to trim/clip my older goldens like your pictures. As a groomer, if you feel the need to give a price quote over the phone, I would. We don't get much of that here. What to do???

Beautiful worknow if I could find a groomer in Los Altos California that is as skilled as you are.Thank you for an informative breakdown on grooming a Golden.Tom.

Thanks so much! What You Need To Know! And theres that beautiful coat! The area around the inside of the ears is clipped. this is a great post. They are BIG shedders since they have double coats, so their fur requires some serious attention. I groom my 3 Goldens at home and do pretty well but I just don't know where to begin with Dudley. And the owner was very pleased. :/ Good luck. I get a lot of calls, especially in the summer months, about clipping Golden's short. So many customers don't realize just how short our blades can take a dogs hair. Those continuous Lake and River swimmers never crossed my mind when I wrote this post.

I was always lead to believe that the undercoat acts as air conditioning or a blanket as necessary. Great article!

I am glad that clipping her helped her to feel good in her advanced years. I will definitely search around for a club or rescue and get some references if I can. It will make them comfortable, and it will reduce the amount of fur that gets into sofas and other furniture.

If, for some reason the groomer felt that your dog needed to be shaved after you had left, she should have called to tell you that she felt your dog needed to be shaved. One of the things I love about our golden is the "fringe" on the back of his front legs. The last groomer I worked for shaved 9/10 goldens that walked through that door (with a #7 because it's faster), convincing all the customers that "it's too much hassle to keep up with ALL that hair, so why not just keep it short? that haircut took 6 lbs off of the dog. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of cookies. :)Lisa, MFF.

I hate to see him like this. Thank you so much for posting this information.

Because the amount of hair you cut is so minimal, the simple trim ensures that your dogs coat remains true to the shape of the breed. The owner and I are very close friends and he allows my beloved Golden to swim as often as I have time to take him. The tail is also trimmed, along with the feet which are cut short and curved (like a cats paw.). Trim, feather the fur, and properly trim the paws, ears, and sanitary areas. I just feel like he is suffering just to enjoy his walk. Some have thinner coats with little feathering or long flowing feathering. I am sick over this. so I'm doing it myself! The business we took them to was owned by two sisters who recently had a parting of ways so one of the sisters (the one we preferred to have take care of our dogs) left, she had been the one who knew our dogs and also how we liked to have them cut. my favorite is the shortest oneless fur to shed! If you are a Pet Groomer, I hope you can relate to some of the stories. She had been totally shaved a few days before she came to us. After you bathe her you could also give her a Baking Soda rinse. At least you will get around the eyes trimmed even if you decided that that groomer is not for you. He is severely under groomed but I can't afford to pay someone to groom a dog that is not mine! I've shaved them every summer and their coats grow back beautifully before winter every year. The furminators are frowned upon for our golens. Keep the shape of the coat but cut it down to an inch or shorter. Hi,I am so happy the you liked the groom and gave your groomer the chance to show you how nice your dog could look with a trim instead of a shave. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Very sad indeed and she charged me a lot more than was quoted. This seems to work very very well and I only have to do it once for the summer as they seem to grown back slowly enough that by summers end they have grown back and no need for it during the winter. !Now I'm working in a Salon and just been approached about shaving one down and I told them the dog could be tidied rather than shaved.

do not cut your puppy or adult dogs down. All 3 of my dogs do. I am sure it will helpful to others looking to keep their Goldies looking good. Last year my older guy had so many hot spots and was losing so much hair to allergies, I gave him a puppy cut. :)Lisa, MFF. To top that off, the price that you quoted comes nowhere close to the amount of time and work it is going to take to groom the dog.

I have no problem shaving any breed of dog if there is a health issue involved.Thanks for the comment and setting me straight about the reasons why some groomers shave Goldens. Oh, and keeping those nails trimmed is also a wonderful idea. It is called the puppy cut because of how simple it is. The Golden Retriever has a long list of recognizable attributes, but they get their name from their beautiful golden locks. There are plenty of good groomers out there that will work with you and groom your guy the way you want. This cut makes your dog look fluffy and like a teddy, hence its name, and it will help keep them cool and minimize the risk of damaging their natural, double coat. Since we live on a lake in NH, Hoover lives in the water and fields. It depends on how healthy she is.The most important thing is that you keep telling her she is beautiful. If I wanted a short haired dog, I'd buy a labrador!

With a degree in Education and a love for writing, Nicole aims to share her and others' expert knowledge with pet lovers worldwide with Hepper.

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook