kafka consumer thread per partition

If new instances join the group they will take over some partitions from other members of the group; if an instance dies, its partitions will be distributed to the remaining instances. Now, let's consider another scenario (which I haven't experimented but am curious) where I start 2 consumer processes consumer1 and consumer2 both having the same group group1 and each of them is a single threaded process. I was wondering what is the effective difference between having 2 consumer threads under the same process as opposed to 2 consumer processes (group being the same in both cases)? Leveraging Microservices and Apache Kafka to Scale Developer Productivity. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. We have a single topic test-topic * the partitions. On the other hand, if you spawn 2 threads, each will consume from 2 partitions.

I understand what you said. applications to consume the heavy traffic from the topics without any lag. How to freeze molecular orbitals in GAMESS-US? The SlideShare family just got bigger. Thanks for the detailed answer from @user2720864, but I think the re-allocation case @user2720864 mentioned in the answer is not correct => one partition cannot be consumed by two consumers. So with multiple consumer groups setup with the same id I can run on multiple hosts making my application tolerant to failure. What's inside the black box? Indeed it is always desirable to have more threads than partitions to cover this factor. In general, how are consumer threads or processes mapped / related to partitions in the topic? Github and of consumers you can have depends on a lot of other factors than simply the no. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search.

Since Kubernetes we usually look for horizontal scaling. */. Downside of this approach is that you are limited to single thread for processing messages. rev2022.7.20.42634. 464), How APIs can take the pain out of legacy system headaches (Ep. When working with KafkaConsumer, we usually employ single thread both for reading and processing of messages. The main process of the program will start threads and if any of them stop then we will stop all the others and terminate the program.

I have a C#-based system that works relatively well. When the topics increase, I should be able to install and start a few extra > consumers and everything should continue smoothly.

There are pros/cons of each approach and well go over these. The Foundations of Multi-DC Kafka (Jakub Korab, Solutions Architect, Confluen Building Stream Infrastructure across Multiple Data Centers with Apache Kafka, Reducing Microservice Complexity with Kafka and Reactive Streams, Apache Kafka - Event Sourcing, Monitoring, Librdkafka, Scaling & Partitioning, Exactly-once Stream Processing with Kafka Streams, Kafka Summit SF 2017 - Exactly-once Stream Processing with Kafka Streams. Also kafka does have an algorithm to determine when threads fail, again I've tested this by killing a thread in a consumer group then watching another thread in another consumer group with the same name take up the partition. Once the data has been delivered Thank you , I hope you have remarks and comments ! Can a human colony be self-sustaining without sunlight using mushrooms? Trending is based off of the highest score sort and falls back to it if no posts are trending.

It is also important to understand that there is no point creating more threads It gives me a pure joy to extract most out of a machine by loading the CPU with work just like a master exploiting its slaves :). Undoubtedly, threads are cheaper than processes but processes have the capability to be horizontally scaled, i.e.

How should we do boxplots with small samples?

The kafka broker assigns the partitions whose messages will be

Topics and Partitions. Love podcasts or audiobooks? * Consumer configuration for email topics Kafka has an algorithm to determine which threads/consumer groups reads the various topic partitions.

When there are more consumers (compared to the partitions), each partition will be exclusively allocated to one consumer only while the leftover consumers will stay lazy only until some working consumers being dead or being removed from the group. While this can be very useful in certain use-case scenarios, it's not trivial to implement. This is a simplest approach, which can be easily There are two types of multithreading which can be achieved with For example, if we are consuming from all three topics like this: We get a single thread listening from all the 30 partitions of 3 topics combined. problem in plotting phase portrait t for nonlinear system of difference equation. So what Im about to explain comes with advantages and disadvantages ! To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. * @return Unfortunately, these days due to distributed nature of computing, most of the time in a machine is spent waiting on I/O (either from database, APIs etc.) Adding Video Communication to A Multiplayer Mobile Unity Game, Six essential Amazon Web Services to build your SaaS, Linearizability And/Vs Serializability in Distributed Databases, Apache Kafka Series()Journey To The Hell, https://github.com/confluentinc/parallel-consumer.

And also its API specification at "Consumer Groups and Topic Subscriptions" section: This is achieved by balancing the partitions between all members in the consumer group so that each partition is assigned to exactly one consumer in the group. In my topic there are 2 partitions (for simplicity let's assume replication factor is just 1).

Announcing the Stacks Editor Beta release! I have heard anecdotes though where people claim that multiple threads in the same service is slower on the kafka consume than multiple applications. See our User Agreement and Privacy Policy. The network between the consumer and the Kafka cluster etc. test-topic3 with 10 partitions each. Kafka | Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

Now, lets see the output, when concurrency is increased to 2.

Lets see how the behavior differs.

that we are able to achieve more from a single consumer instead of increasing During this re-balance Kafka will assign available partitions to available threads, possibly moving a partition to another process. 1. If you continue browsing the site, you agree to the use of cookies on this website. Igor Buzatovi if you set up 2 hosts with 2 distinct groups to ingest the same topic, you'll end up with double the amount of messages. Can we get desired processing and ordering guarantees? In this post, we will look at ways to increase concurrency of Kafka consumer so It reads data from kafka, processes the data and then writes it out to MSSQL. If a creature with damage transfer is grappling a target, and the grappled target hits the creature, does the target still take half the damage? I.e. It looks like consumer1_thread1 is consuming partition 0 and consumer1_thread2 is consuming partition 1. This design works well and if 5 of the services are down, the consumer rebalances and the 5 remaining services will each handle 2 partitions. The Science of Time Travel: The Secrets Behind Time Machines, Time Loops, Alternate Realities, and More! partitions equally among the threads belonging to same consumer group. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. 465). Why don't they just issue search warrants for Steve Bannon's documents? A Kafka journey and why migrate to Confluent Cloud?

Jekyll, Is it safe to use a license that allows later versions? Is this behaviour always deterministic? Instant access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts and more.

Kafka. Does producer and consumer need to specify partition, Data Modeling with Kafka? Thanks for the edit.

If you notice above, now there are 2 threads which have been equally given 5 How would I modify a coffee plant to grow outside the tropics? If all your consumer groups for a given consumer group name were on the same host and it failed then your application would stop reading from Kafka. If we I was wondering what is the effective difference between having 2 consumer threads under the same process as opposed to 2 consumer processes (group being the same in both cases), The consumer group-id is same/global across the cluster. However, my main concern in my original question was thread vs process.

Multithreading |. Just to be clear, the following configuration specifies the concurrency in * Scientific writing: attributing actions to inanimate objects. its offset does not move until the thread is respawned). There are many incorrect things in your answer.

By decoupling consumption and processing, we can achieve processing parallelization with single consumer and get the most out of multi-core CPU architectures available today. We delegate the restart management to our container orchestration solution (Kubernetes).So we need a mechanism ensuring that if any thread finish all the others will close, for that : The code of the ShutDownHook wrapper ( since the java kafka client is not thread-safe ). Announcing the Stacks Editor Beta release! Thanks in advance.

delivered to these threads. with 10 partitions and a single VM running spring application with single Activate your 30 day free trialto continue reading. allow them to process in parallel. Is there any logical reason that you know of why running 10 threads in a single service would perform worse than running 10 services? that thread, the thread may deliver the messages to multiple pool of threads to For this question, assume I am using the high level consumer. connected to all the partitions. Learn on the go with our new app. Blondie's Heart of Glass shimmering cascade effect. I have been working with Kafka lately and have bit of confusion regarding the consumers under a consumer group.

Is Kafka a good idea for connecting a REST API with Worker which runs large computations per job in a queue?

However, offset You can now choose to sort by Trending, which boosts votes that have happened recently, helping to surface more up-to-date answers. Solution architecture for a Kafka streaming to website system. a single service would perform worse than running 10 services?

That really answers my curiosity. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader.

If you continue browsing the site, you agree to the use of cookies on this website.

Is a glider on a winch directionally stable? a single service start multiple KafkaReaders (basically multiple Below is the code snippet.

In this approach, consumer thread can decide

If you run multiple consumer groups with the same id/name then the work is spread amoung multiple JVMs - I've tested this and it does happen. Kafka broker. In the multi-threaded consumer mode, a single thread connects to Kafka and may Are there provisions for a tie in the Conservative leadership election? I'm starting to question whether I shouldn't change the design to have

Blondie's Heart of Glass shimmering cascade effect.

But in the case of java, that would be 5 isolated JVM (without any optimization or GraalVM, its around 300 Mo of RAM). The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company.

With a single consumer group for a given name/id it will only ever run on a single host as it manages all its threads in a single runtime environment. Let's consider a scenario that I have experimented with.

First, you can run multiple consumer hosts with a single consumer group.

How can I drop the voltage of a 5V DC power supply from 5.5V to 5.1V? How do we react to consumer group rebalancing? Robert Metzger - Connecting Apache Flink to the World - Reviewing the streami Architecting and productionising data science applications at scale, Kafka and Kafka Streams Intro at iwomm in London, Event Streaming with Kafka Streams, Spring Kafka and Actuator. How to change the place of Descriptive Diagram. Stack Exchange network consists of 180 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Is there any subtle thing I am missing here regarding implementing consumers as processes vs threads? The center of the confusion is whether to implement consumers as processes or threads. achieved using Spring Kafka as shown below. is per instance of In the meantime, I have done some further experiments with multiple processes and saw the rebalancing happening :). Concurrency | This is very straightforward to understand, Kafka will try to distribute the How can I use parentheses when there are math parentheses inside? for better resource utilization Offsets are tracked on the group level, so groups are used to avoid threads within the group stepping on each others' toes. of processes depending on those numbers and it should not be hard to implement.

Is there a PRNG that visits every number exactly once, in a non-trivial bitspace, without repetition, without large memory usage, before it cycles? How should I deal with coworkers not respecting my blocking off time in my calendar for work? Its interesting to study this behavior when there are multiple topics to Example : Deploy 2 containers and each run a process launching N/2 threads (so each thread consume 1 partition of the topic), pros : better memory use (only few Mo for each thread)cons : code is much more complicate and no native auto-scaler for this use case in Kubernetes (that will be the subject of a future article). You can run each consumer group on different hosts. Blockchain + AI + Crypto Economics Are We Creating a Code Tsunami? Its like throwing money at the problem. Low footprint multi-threaded java Kafka Consumers using CompletionService for graceful shutdown. Understanding Kafka Topics and Partitions, Continuous consumer group rebalancing with more consumers than partitions. Following is the behavior with single concurrency: If you closely observe the above output, the consumer ID of the application is 464), How APIs can take the pain out of legacy system headaches (Ep. Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!

same for all the 10 partitions, indicating that its the single thread which is When a consumer group fails, it enables other threads in other groups to read the given partition. Why had climate change not been proven beyond doubt for so long? This is how you increase consumer resiliance to failure. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Thanks. My consumers have been implemented as windows services, where each service starts up one kafka consumer. Thanks for contributing an answer to Software Engineering Stack Exchange!

(Volumes are large and increase every month). We are using consumer group spring-group to listen to this partition. Enjoy access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, and more from Scribd. My advice would be to create multiple consumer groups with the same id and watch kafka distribute the load over the consumer groups.

On the other hand, if we split the consumption within different methods, Spring will automatically spawn a thread for each listener even though we have

Where developers & technologists share private knowledge with coworkers, Reach developers & technologists worldwide. Absolutely spot on about the monitoring/notification.

concurrency. If there are more threads than partitions then some of them will just remain dormant until other threads fail to offer resiliancy. Now customize the name of a clipboard to store your clips. @buzzgor * @return For example if you have a single consumer with two threads then if this machine goes down you loose all consumers.

Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later. By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. AI and Machine Learning Demystified by Carol Smith at Midwest UX 2017, Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project, Harry Surden - Artificial Intelligence and Law Overview, Pinot: Realtime Distributed OLAP datastore, How to Become a Thought Leader in Your Niche, UX, ethnography and possibilities: for Libraries, Museums and Archives, Winners and Losers - All the (Russian) President's Men, No public clipboards found for this slide, KafkaConsumer - Decoupling Consumption and Processing for Better Resource Utilization (Igor Buzatovi, Inovativni trendovi d.o.o) Kafka Summit 2020, Autonomy: The Quest to Build the Driverless CarAnd How It Will Reshape Our World, Bezonomics: How Amazon Is Changing Our Lives and What the World's Best Companies Are Learning from It, So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen, Talk to Me: How Voice Computing Will Transform the Way We Live, Work, and Think, SAM: One Robot, a Dozen Engineers, and the Race to Revolutionize the Way We Build, The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives, Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are, Life After Google: The Fall of Big Data and the Rise of the Blockchain Economy, Live Work Work Work Die: A Journey into the Savage Heart of Silicon Valley, From Gutenberg to Google: The History of Our Future, Future Presence: How Virtual Reality Is Changing Human Connection, Intimacy, and the Limits of Ordinary Life, The Basics of Bitcoins and Blockchains: An Introduction to Cryptocurrencies and the Technology that Powers Them (Cryptography, Derivatives Investments, Futures Trading, Digital Assets, NFT), Wizard:: The Life and Times of Nikolas Tesla, Spooked: The Trump Dossier, Black Cube, and the Rise of Private Spies, Test Gods: Virgin Galactic and the Making of a Modern Astronaut, The Metaverse: And How It Will Revolutionize Everything, A Brief History of Motion: From the Wheel, to the Car, to What Comes Next, An Ugly Truth: Inside Facebooks Battle for Domination, The Quiet Zone: Unraveling the Mystery of a Town Suspended in Silence, The Wires of War: Technology and the Global Struggle for Power, System Error: Where Big Tech Went Wrong and How We Can Reboot, Liftoff: Elon Musk and the Desperate Early Days That Launched SpaceX.

consumption decoupling confluent delegates kafka scaling

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook