upper yuba river fishing

Learn what hours to go fishing at North Yuba River. The fishing pressure is higher here due to the proximity to cabins on the river and the hotels in Downieville. hi Matt- I was doing research for norcal fly fishing waters and found your website. The one where Ladies Canyon Creek dumps in is particularly good. There are essentially three sections to the river: The Upper Pocket Water, the Special Regulations Section, and the Lower Big Trout Section. Great experience. According to our data, anglers at North Yuba River are mostly reeling in Rainbow trout using the following fishing gear. Please use your best judgement when determining where you can fish, and make sure you follow local regulations. Despite HWY 49 paralleling the NFYR for several miles thereare only afew turnouts where you can park and access the river. The North Yuba is an excellent river to learn fly fishing on. If the water is high and off color, streamers is the name of the game. Please email any questions to [emailprotected]. #theimplication #yubariver #steelhead #dryfly #riseon, You have one hour to fish where do you go? Most of the river is near highway 49 and is easily accessed from the road.

The northbound lane up HWY 49 is a single lane highway which makes a pain to traverse if there are a slow movers. A beginner will have success here with dry flys. Make sure to check this page before fishing for the most up to date rules and regulations for the current season.

The most down stream access is found by parking across from Sierra Pines Resort and walking down the road behind the restaurant. I was hoping Id catch somebigger fish this tripbut most ofthetrout I hookedwere less than 10. Low flows and warmer than usual water temperatures made the fishing tough and with no experience of where to go during such times I didnt have a great time on the water. parks bar above traditions fly fishing bridge Confirm the regulations at the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Scrambling is worth the effort to find solitude. Some will hold over into Spring. Each guest (that is over 15 years old) will need to have a current California fishing license with them.

Use similar gear as the Upper Section but add tight line nymphing (European Nymphing) as part of your mid-day tactic. Watch for hatches of Pale Morning Duns, Golden Stones, Blue Wing Olives, Caddis, and October Caddis. yuba directions fork south I really enjoy reading your posts. The other tributaries follow the regular pattern of being open the last Saturday in April through November 15. The section above Goodyears Bar becomes available but is rarely productive. It is steadily fed by snow melt and springs. Youll catch more trout nymphing, but you can catch plenty on drys. #pyramidlake #deadinside, on Giving The North Fork Yuba River A Second Try, Heritage Trout Challenge: Through The Coast and Mountains, CA DFG Fishing Regulations: Feather River & American River, Wet Wading 101: How To Wet Wade Comfortably, How I Fly Fish Streamers In NorCal Waters, Mama Said Mama Said Thered Be Days Like This, Windy Days, Fun On The Feather, and Truckee Love, Tips On Overcoming the Expenses and Struggles of the Fly Fishing Newbie, Translating Fly Fishing to Spin Fishing #1. In Downieville, the North Yuba joins with the Downie River.

#pinkroses #imyourdesertrose #kissfromarose #rivercanyon, Yellow steelhead in spawning colors. Not for me. They are oval shaped light sections in the gravel where the fish have fanned away algae. During spawn, please avoid fishing the reds (spawning beds). Larger rainbows will come into the river as well. (2) The fall season is better for bigger fish in the lower river. When hen wet wading, youll need some boots or shoes with socks that can get wet while protecting your feet.

Hiking and wading down asteep gradientwith superslippery boulders for small troutdidnt seemworth it. river mtshasta feather fishing chile trout weblog jack northern california shasta retreat A light rod..2,3, or 4 wt. But life goes on.

The North Fork of the Yuba river provides season long fishing opportunities. Local regulations govern when you can fish, the max size of the fish you can keep, how many fish you can keep, and more. At the higher water temperatures, fighting a fish can kill it due to the low oxygen content of the warmer water. One of the most beautiful trout steams in California, the North Yuba provides 37 miles of blue ribbon fly fishing opportunities. Hope to see you on the Lower Yuba one of these days. The pool is generously stocked with rainbows. There will be less fishing pressure here due to the walk. In the Fall, the Brown trout come into this section of the river to spawn. I'm kinda new to fly fishing and find your postings very helpful. #suckerspawn #suckstosuck #goodluckcharm, I beat the shit out of the wind today. This section is still rough canyon country. Access is varied from easy to difficult. #earlyspring #skwala #dryfly #ripjb #theunit, First fish to start the new year. After catching a few I drove downstream to find some easier water to fish.

trinity Dry flies were my first go-to but that quickly changed as I noticed only small fishrising. There are not a lot of them, but I've personally seen 20"+ browns in that section of the river between mid-Sept and mid-Nov. This section begins as a trickle at the Yuba Pass and extends down through Sierra City.

Where 49 crosses the Yuba on its way to Nevada City, the canyon creek Trail parking area area is a convenient way to walk the last section of river. Please email any questions to martin@northyubaguide.com, Martin was great. 9 catches are logged on Fishbrain. Matt, Fishing pressure is zero since everyone is off chasing steelhead and the egg bite. No.

The rocks in this area werealso very slippery and I had a tough time getting around. They are after the eggs of the browns.

Below Ladies Canyon, the river becomes a bit wider and is much more easily approachable. We will meet, get oriented, and move to the water. Single day or annual DFW licenses can be purchased at many sporting goods stores or online here. There is a very high fish count, the fish see little pressure, and the rocky terrain creates turbulence which allows the angler to get close with short casts. Large browns migrate upstream from Bullards Bar, up about as far as Convict Flat or so. Cheers to new adventures on the fly. The last time I visited the NFYR I made the mistake of fishing a section that was too warm so I tried the upper canyon of the NFYR near Sierra City. The fish are generally small to medium sized. There are numerous pullouts to choose from. If you see terrestrials, use the appropriate imitation. North Yuba River is a stream near Grass Valley. The trout here are beautifully colored wild rainbows. This 4 mile section comprises of deep pools and heavy pocket water. The last time I fished the North Fork of the Yuba River was abouttwo years ago during the drought. In the warmer months, getting wet is the best option. Unless Im in the area for another reason Ill be spending my time on the water elsewhere. This is California Gold. The most popular species caught here is Rainbow trout. Below Downieville, the next few miles of river is very difficult to access due to private property and dangerously steep terrain. Locals will take matters into their own hands if you are seen to be poaching. Each of our trips is an adventure. Create a free account on Fishbrain to know the exact BiteTime (fishing forecast) for any fish, explore fishing spots, and save relevant baits to prepare for your next fishing trip. Our trips can be for the beginner, intermediate, or advanced adventurer.

Be ready to scramble over large boulders. Gear for the Upper Pocket Water: keep it simple. #yubariver #steelies #featheriver #eggies, Pyramid Lake overnighter. The fish per mile here is lower but here, we are looking for the periodic big boy. Also study topo maps and look for where the springs enter the river.

Most of my fish came off nymphs that were tight-lined. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Wild river roses. Will I get over it? Tight line nymphing works well when the hatches are not happening. #featheriver #steel #windsucks #allergies, March is one of my favorite months on the Yuba. Since sharing shoes and pants with strangers is gross, youll need to bring your own wading gear. This section had plenty of deep pools but getting around was too tough. With the excess of water this year I thought it would be a great idea to give the NFYR another try to see ifthe fishing would be any better. Some of these fish are trophies. Attractors will work as well as EC Caddis, Parachute Adams, and Humpys.

Use short casts to the sides and heads of the pools. Bait can be purchased at the Sierra Hardware store in town. The river is easier to navigate since its less steep than the upper sections and is wider. A rare Brown trout can be found here. Zero fish in the net. The guide can not legally take a guest fishing without a valid DFW license. Thanks for sharing your experiences on the water and the great pictures. Youll need to be in good physical shape to fish here, its rough terrain. We were always curious about fly fishing but were not sure where to start. Your email address will not be published. There is a large pool at the confluence of these two rivers. For fly fishers, this is a great place to go. Shorten the learning curve to Fly Fishing, The crystal clear water of the North Fork Yuba. This is where we go on those hot summer days. With Fishbrain you can save relevant baits, follow species you are targeting, and keep a list of waters to explore. We took a day off of riding and went fishing. This section of the river is best fished during the cooler months. #flyfishing #life #fawkcovid #fawkthegrind #yubariver, Epic BWO hatch. This is a great spot to bring the kids for some bait fishing. When the water temperatures are 68 degrees F or above, go upstream. You will learn as we explore. The North Yuba River is open year-around from Sierra City to Bullards Bar but the regulations change to catch and release with single barbless hooks during the winter months from mid-November to the last Saturday in April. Its quite a long drive to the NFYR from the valley so I was planning for either a hit or a miss. The owner of Lost Coast Outfitters calls the North Yuba his goto river to bring new fly anglers. The NFYR is a decent fishery but personally I felt that it wasnt worth the almost two and a half hourdrive. Your efforts will be rewarded with easily catchable wild trout. This wild fish will be happy to take dry flys. Use a small rainbow imitation or Buggers.

The Department of Fish and Wildlife gave the section of river between Sierra City and Ladies Canyon the designation of a Wild Trout section with special regulations. There are alway fish under the Goodyears Bar bridge that crosses over the North Yuba. #flyfishing #yubariver #dryflyordie #bwo #daybeforethestorm #norisershere #foamishome, Feather steel on the Yuba Other access points are right off of highway 49 between Sierra City and Bassets Station. I think that we took years off of the learning curve., What an amazing place! Flip lip over some rocks to find a Stone Fly to bait your hook. We will provide you with an advanced fly rod, fly reel, line, tippet, and flies. You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

. Can you fish in North Yuba River? It took quite a bit of time to get to where I wanted to go but it was nice to finally get up to cooler weather. Floating line with a 7 1/2 foot tapered leader. Really. Keep up the good work. Waterfalls, wildlife, and wild fish on a fly. A couple of tips to find the bigger fish in the NFYR(1) In the summer, best to target the bigger pools where feeder creeks come in. All you have to do is show up! These fish will occasionally eat large caddis dry flies, but are more commonly caught on streamers or big nymphs. I scouted out several access points and settled for theLadies Canyon Creek section. Access is good with numerous pullouts and trails to the river. Regulations are single barbless hooks, artificial lures and a take of only 2 trout, 10 inches or greater. Be stealthy and approach from downstream. Dan. Fishing regulations in California can change throughout the year. Park, Hike, and catch fish. Egg patterns are a good bet then. Drop in for a drink on your way back, its a lovely spot with a generously stocked trout pond.

Easy access leaves you near the road.

この投稿をシェアする!Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook